Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I found two Hosts files - anyone know why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnybundles

Technical User
Nov 12, 2008
GB
I have a newish Vista pc, I have tried to keep other HOSTS files tidy in Win2k XP. Now I want to do the same in Vista.
I appear to have two HOSTS files. Can anyone tell me why, and can one of them be removed?

I presume the one in the etc file is the right one, but what is the other?

File 1 is in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
File 2 is in C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-w..nfrastructure-other_ + a long sequence of numbers

The content of both files is almost identical, the etc file has a single change I put in it, in order to view a site that had not propagated yet.

Plus....
One other question?

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

What is the above line ::1 for?
Thanks in advance.
JB

File 1 is the HOSTS file that Windows sees all the time...

File 2 is a backup afaik...

the ::1 is the IPv6 localhost address...

it is easy to remember, 128 bits - from which 127 are 0 and one is 1... or the decimal notation would be 0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001, now would you want to write all those 0's all the time when you ping the local host? most would not, thus it has been reduced...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I would write them, I like zeroes, they're my friends mmmmm........

Thanks Bad, all is clear now, Right I can start removing 112.2o7 and other Not friends.
Rapid response appreciated.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back