Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I faild the 640-507 yesterday with an 809 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwuanei

MIS
Mar 12, 2002
US
Hello folks,
I'm new to this site, but certainly not new to computing and networking. Like many of you, I've been the industry for more than just a few years and have only recently started to realize the importance of getting certified. In my last position, I served as the multi-hat, jack of all trade problem solver. Fortunately, I was able to gain some valued experience in several different areas including LAN and WAN switching. In the last year, I've decided to exclusively focus my career in this direction. However, here's my dilemma: I failed the 640-507 yesterday with an 809 [sad] ... Big shock there as I thought I was as prepared as can be. I completed one semester of the CISCO Networking Academy and after feeling like much of it was review of what I already knew I withdrew at the beginning of the 2nd semester. The only other material I studied was the Cisco Press's Exam certification guide. What other materials are recommended for some one in my position, not quite basic but certainly not knowledgeable enough?

Any info is much appreciated! Thanks

Question: In the new 607 exam, you have to get a score of about 85% (84.9%) to pass? How long ago was it that you had to get only a 70 or 75% to pass? It seems that Cisco keeps increasing the passing score... I would appreciate if someone could explain how the scoring works for the 640-607 exam??

Yes.. they keep pushing it up. It's a way to limit the marginal passers. 2(maybe 3) years ago when they revised the CCNA test to Rel 2, they bumped up the pass scores and you should have heard the howls and whinning.

So far as I know, the score is not flat, the questions are weighted so you could missed certain ones and not pay as much of a hit as others.

In adaptive testing, this is exactly how it works. You pass a simple questions, you get the next hardest one till you pass a threshold where the test feels you know the material and it moves to another catagory. Or they may start with a hard one and move down if you miss it. It's a bit unsettling to take adaptive tests. I took one where the min questions was 25 and the max was 75.. at question 27, the screen blanked out and said I was done.. I was not ready for such a quick end. Of course when you hit 30 you start to worry alot about what you missed.

So much fun

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Heh, just passed the 640-503 (CCNP Routing) with a score
of 914. It was terrible, and in certain cases
I needed to use process of elimination to make a reasonable
attempt to get the right answer...my lowest areas were
Scaling BGP and Optimizing Routing Update Information, but
I thought the exam was fair, it consisted of material we
had covered in Network Academy Sem 5, and the BSCN book
was very useful. All I can say is for this exam, you
had better know your routing, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, VLSM,
Summarization, make sure you know your frame relay
as well.

Congrats dogbert2! I plan on taking my CCNP Exams too... that's after I pass my CCNA that I will be taking in a couple weeks hopefully... But I have one question for you all... Do you have to necessarily score above 85% in the Practice Tests... e.g., Sybex, Boson, Transcender, Etc.. ... to pass the ACTUAL CCNA 640-607 Exam? Considering the actual test is an Adaptive Test and the practice tests are not... Do you think I could pass the actual CCNA exam if I am not reaching the 85% mark on the Practice Tests???

I am doing the whole Cisco network academy thing at the moment. The first semester was all OSI and things I have covered before in my "HND Tech. Support". I have now just finished the second semester which was heavily in to routing which I had never done before. I think you would have been better to stick with it Dwuanei it's excellent. I also couldn't imagine doing this course without hands on experience! I can now configure a router to use RIP as it's routing protocol from the setup mode. Something I couldn't comprehend doing before I started. I would love to get a hold of a router myself and have been scouring eBay! I don't think my work would appreciate me practicing on theirs :)

R

I found the boson exam series quite useful for prep
on the CCNP Routing 2.0 exam, along with the BSCN
book...

I just studied the sybex book, routergod.com, learntosubnet.com, and the comments from the Cisco routers and switches discussions on tek-tips... got a 946... "all hail Lammle"... ;-) Setnaffa is an MCSE-4.0 (working on W2K) with a few other certs, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back