Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I faild the 640-507 yesterday with an 809 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwuanei

MIS
Mar 12, 2002
US
Hello folks,
I'm new to this site, but certainly not new to computing and networking. Like many of you, I've been the industry for more than just a few years and have only recently started to realize the importance of getting certified. In my last position, I served as the multi-hat, jack of all trade problem solver. Fortunately, I was able to gain some valued experience in several different areas including LAN and WAN switching. In the last year, I've decided to exclusively focus my career in this direction. However, here's my dilemma: I failed the 640-507 yesterday with an 809 [sad] ... Big shock there as I thought I was as prepared as can be. I completed one semester of the CISCO Networking Academy and after feeling like much of it was review of what I already knew I withdrew at the beginning of the 2nd semester. The only other material I studied was the Cisco Press's Exam certification guide. What other materials are recommended for some one in my position, not quite basic but certainly not knowledgeable enough?

Any info is much appreciated! Thanks

What areas of the exam did you fail? Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA
Sprint-Data

The break down of my score are as follows:

Bridging/Switching 57%
OSI Reference Model & Layered Comm. 82%
Network Protocols 100%
Routing 100%
Network Management 50%
LAN Design 75%
Cisco Basics IOS & Network Basics 57%

Bridging/switching, network management and basic IOS..

let me guess.. basic switch theory.. things like spanning tree, frames vs. packets.. layer two stuff? whats a collision domain? whats a broadcast domain?

network management would be snmp, whats a sniffer, whats a protocol analyzer? etc?

and basic IOS... my test was heavy on moving files back and forth from flash, basic parts of a router etc..

You nailed OSI, protocols and routing... lan design was good... you are VERY close to the knowledge needed.

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

I have had experience with configuring routers i.e. 1600, 1700 and 2500 series, however I've always relied heavily on that amazing feature CISCO incorporated; the "help" "?". So I think this is what happened with the Cisco Basics IOS... section.

By the way, how reasonable is it for the IOS commands to be such a big part of the test when they vary so much between hardware type, and IOS image versions?

I think you should have stayed the course. I have one week left in the academy and passed my exam with a 956 last week. It was an excellent class! I know it's not cheap but well worth it!

In my opinion there doesn't seem to be any real shortcuts on this.

Good luck!

Tom

I can feel your PAIN!
I have not been in the industry that long but I was still very dissappointed when I saw my score.

I was a loan officer for a bank, then I moved to the IT dept to manage the Nortel phone system for a year, they decided to move to Cisco about 15 months ago; They sent me to ICND then put the project on hold for a year! I spent the last 3 months working on production routers, trying not screw something up and learn the IOS commands, I also purchased a few "cheat sheet books". Now they are in a hurry for me to get my CCNA and get to work on my CCNP, but they will not give me a lab enviroment to study in...... very frustrating@!

Here are my test results: I scored a 838, so close....

Bridging/Switching 71%
OSI Reference Model & Layered Comm. 70%
Network Protocols 80%
Routing 50%
WAN Protocol 71%
Network Management 75%
LAN Design 100%
Cisco Basics IOS & Network Basics 85%

I have scheduled a second test for the 25th of this month.

The problem is I am not real sure what I missed on the routing section or what to study......

Any suggestions?

Oh man! You were even closer than I was.. Routing- protocols (RIP, EIGRP etc.) and also those darn IP addressing and Sub-net question. The general consensus is that Sybex book is the best way to go with the aid of Boson software. Sorry I don’t have the specifics, but that’s the rout I'm gonna go. From scratch.....

Good luck!

By my calculations, I missed id by one question. Still I was not aiming for the 849 as I am sure you were not either.

Here is my problem, about a month ago while working on some practice subnetting problems the light bulb came on. I can honestly say subnetting is something I am comfortable with. So the fact that they only gave me one subnetting question was a dissappointment of sorts.

My problem is that I am not sure what to study to bring up my routing score, because I do not remember that many IGRP and RIP questions.

So, when you going to try again?

HOLD THE PHONE!

I just read that the test has been updated to the 3.0 or 640-607 version as of 3/12/02.

So if I had passed it on the 15th would Cisco have issued me a CCNA certificate?

Why didn't the testing center tell me that I was about to take an outdated test. Not that I would have passed the 3.0 version but at least I would have failed the correct test.

Don't be a cry-baby.[2thumbsup](Just kidding.) Good luck next time. I'll be right behind you, jut not literally.

Off to take the 607 exam..... see you gus this afternoon!

WITH GOOD NEWS!

Hi

This best think to do is read. It might be that you understand networking but you have to understand it the CISCO way.

Therefore, I suggest the you take about a month and read at least one book.
One book that is pretty good and also has test questions on the CD is SYBEX CCNA study guide. It is easy to digest and easy to read. The test questions on the CD are great and are consider to be even harder than the actual test.

The key to passing the test is to totally understand what the questions are trying to ask. Make notice of the choice of word used also be very careful on the choice of options for the questions. This includes spelling and upper and lower case of the commands.

hope this helps

Mario

I PASSED!

607 is tougher than 507 by a lot!

Router Sims are neat, but you have to read everything close!
The ? command does work but it is not fully functional on all levels. There is a delay on the sims too so take your time.

Question? When did EIGRP become a CCNA level objective?

Routing protocol questions were all over this thing and they were pretty tough.

KNOW your subnetting!

Good luck all, now it is time to start on CCNP stuff!

Congrats buddy!! You've renewed my hope and I'm gonna give it a shot again as soon as I have the money..

Question- for the simulations in the 607 test- do you need to copy run start after you make config changes if the simulation does not ask you to or do you always do a copy run start after making changes. I took the test and scored a 790 so I need to take it again.

I took the 640-607 Thursday, and failed it by 40 points, the test is not just knwing the information, but also, knowing how cisco words things, remember it is designed to make you think, and BOY i had smoke coming out of my ears, I get nervous taking tests so I missed stupid things like "copy tftp flash" I am gonna take it again next week. I did do a copy run start on both sims, and also checked the sho run, abbreviations can be used, which is really nice. Well good luck, MMCGURK, and I hope the best for me!

I have taken the new CCNA 607 exam about April 12th or so and passed it. On the exam I did do my copy run start etc... I'm not positive whether it is required but when in doubt you can't go wrong doing it anyways, besides that's something you will do in the field, why not practice? Keep working hard everyone, take care

As someone who has just finished Semester 5 Network Academy (CCNP Adv Routing), and getting ready to take his 640-503 in about 8 days (week from Tuesday). The fact that you got a score in the low 800's isn't bad (failing the exam isn't the end of the world), however, look at your printout (I can tell you from personal experience) that MOST students tend to blow it in Routing and Switching, IOS Commands (I got 100% in this area, there is NO way to say this but this section is just pure memorization and practice). Also, network management is tough as well. Bone up on the areas you scored low in, refresh on the other areas, and take the exam again (I got 924 on my 640-507), and I did attend all
four semesters of the network academy (I took the test after the end of my 2nd semester). The information you learn in Sem 3 and 4 is where the stuff on routing/switching sinks in (IMO).

Maybe you guys should take the test at a place that allows you to retake it. Indianapolis has such environments, and I am sure other cities do as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back