Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I erased my windows sound files, what do i do to fix bring them back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I accidently erased my windows sound files, (ex. chimes)what do I need to do to bring them back? I have tried to use the reformating disks, but I get to the third stage of reformatting and the computer locks up. I have looked everywhere to my knowledge as to where they might be, but I cannot find them.

Reinstall windows or find the said files on your windows cd and copy them back to where you deleted them from. Hope this helps.

i would reinstall windows, but i don't have a disk of any sort for windows. Where could i find this or do I not need one?

Have a look if you have a directory windows/option/cabs
This is a copy of windows which is kept on your hard drive, you may be able to re-install your sound files from here.

If you are lucky the people that built the machine put the files on the hard drive.
You might try start, settings, control panel, add software, windows setup, add sounds.
It might also as for one or more of the floppies. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Personally, I think the standard windows sounds are rubbish. Unless you specifically need the original sounds and if you have the means, try making your own or recording some short nifty sounds. As a .wav file, these can then be placed in the C:\windows\media folder. The titles you give them will then be visible in control panel/sounds. Happy customising! :-D My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge. Andy.

If you're using Win98 or higher, right-click on the c:\windows\options\cabs directory and choose Find. Type in *.wav under the box named "Containing Text"

If they're not there, pop in the CD and do the same.

Use Winzip or similar to extract them and place them in the c:\windows\media folder.

reghakr

If you can download the program "BearShare" ( there are several stupid people who share their windows directories, so you can download all the sound files from there. You just have to find out what sound files you need. Here are all the wave files in windows 98:

START.WAV, CHIMES.WAV, CHORD.WAV, DING.WAV, Jungle Maximize.wav, Jungle Menu Command.wav, Jungle Menu Popup.wav, Jungle Restore Up.wav, Jungle Error.wav, LOGOFF.WAV, Musica Maximize.wav, Musica Menu Command.wav, Musica Restore Down.wav, Musica Critical Stop.wav, Jungle Recycle.wav, NOTIFY.WAV, RECYCLE.WAV, Robotz Maximize.wav, Robotz Menu Command.wav, Robotz Restore Down.wav, Robotz Critical Stop.wav, Utopia Recycle.wav, TADA.WAV, Utopia Maximize.wav, Utopia Menu Command.wav, Utopia Restore Down.wav, Utopia Critical Stop.wav, The Microsoft Sound.wav, Musica Recycle.wav, Musica Default.wav, Musica Windows Start.wav, Musica Windows Exit.wav, Musica Question.wav, Musica Exclamation.wav, Musica Asterisk.wav, Musica Open.wav, Musica Close.wav, Musica Minimize.wav, Musica Restore Up.wav, Musica Error.wav, Musica Menu Popup.wav, Jungle Default.wav, Jungle Windows Start.wav, Jungle Windows Exit.wav, Jungle Critical Stop.wav, Jungle Question.wav, Jungle Exclamation.wav, Jungle Asterisk.wav, Jungle Open.wav, Jungle Close.wav, Jungle Minimize.wav, Jungle Restore Down.wav, Robotz Recycle.wav, Robotz Default.wav, Robotz Windows Start.wav, Robotz Windows Exit.wav, Robotz Question.wav, Robotz Exclamation.wav, Robotz Asterisk.wav, Robotz Open.wav, Robotz Close.wav, Robotz Minimize.wav, Robotz Restore Up.wav, Robotz Error.wav, Robotz Menu Popup.wav, Utopia Default.wav, Utopia Windows Start.wav, Utopia Windows Exit.wav, Utopia Question.wav, Utopia Exclamation.wav, Utopia Asterisk.wav, Utopia Open.wav, Utopia Close.wav, Utopia Minimize.wav, Utopia Restore Up.wav, Utopia Error.wav, Utopia Menu Popup.wav

Hope that helps. If you don't have windows 98 then search on yahoo.com for the windows file list.
Steve Kiehl
webmaster@nanovox.com

You should be able to go to the Control Panel and click on the Windows Setup Tab. If there is a checkmark in the Desktop Themes, remove it and click ok. Restart the computer(it don't ask to but it's best if you do) and return to the same place and put the checkmark back in desktop themes and click ok. It may ask you for the Win CD if the CABS are not on the HardDrive. That should put your sounds all back where they belong.

If you don't see a Desktop Themes, look under the Accessories and it should be there. It may be called Multimedia Sound Schemes.

Every day above ground is a GOOD DAY!!!

Sorry, didn't proof read my stuff. Control Panel then Add Remove Programs then WindowsSetup Tab. Every day above ground is a GOOD DAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back