Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I.E.6 Non-stop Pop-ups 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atxross

MIS
Aug 19, 2002
US
I have a user who uses I.E.6. Everytime he opens his browser, automatically he gets shelled with pop-ups. We've gone into "Task Manager" and it doesn't show anything but the browser running. What's the deal? Is there something embedded in the registry. We also use a pop-up software to stop pop-ups, however, it doesn't stop any of them when he opens. Please advise. Thank you.

I use this Free browser , which has a built in pop up stopper . ( don't add , About Blank , to the existing filter list )
Uses very little resources ( No Add's ) & is as good as any other browser .
Intergrates quitely into your system , does not take over . You can still run your normal browser , if you wish .
Uses the IE engine , but is very fast & stable .

I also use ScriptSentry .
This is how I have Script Sentry configured .
It can be done during Install or by going to ,
Windows Explorer > Programs > Script Sentry .
Double click on the 4th Entry , ScriptSentry , which is the .exe file .
This opens it up , select , File > Configure .
Click on > Set to Recommended .
Click OK .

I would suggest to make sure there are no programs like gator,comet cursor or bonzi buddy on the system. Then download and run something like Lavasoft adaware software. This should clear out most of the spyware and cookies that start the pop ups. Run a full scan of the registry and hard disk and see what it finds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back