Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I don´t want #name? to be shown on all fields....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsweb2002

Programmer
Apr 11, 2002
TR
Hi, I have a listing (continuous form) which shows all the records matching a certain criteria (but only showing the main fields).

I can click on any of the records and the DETAILED form opens up with all the fields/data for the record chosen.

The problem is that, for a fraction of a second, on the DETAIL form you can see #name? on all the fields.
Then the actual data appears. It is only about a second or so but I would like to make this #name? thing dissapear. It just doesn´t look good.
Any ideas?

I have the same situation with the continuous form. All the fields show #name? and, after I have selected from combo boxes and press a SEARCH button, I run an SQL which display the data.
Is there a way of just showing the form at the beginning without #name? on all the fields ?

Thanks in advance.

#NAME? and #ERROR? are the defaults that Access puts in when there is a problem showing the data in a field. This can happen when the text box size is too small or the information is a calculated result but there is nothing to calculate. My guess is that the form pops up before the SQL is done, thus giving you a temporary problem with the data it wants to display. I don't know of how you could specify that a field remain blank until the data is ready to display.

Some things you can try:

* Make a macro that runs the SQL in the background FIRST and THEN pops up the form. You could even add a slight pause in the macro, if it takes THAT long.
* Put a splash screen up saying something like 'Calulating' that hides the form until the SQL is done.

Hey, I didn't say they were the BEST suggestions but either of them should do the trick. Hope this helps.

I thank you for your suggestions.

However, I don´t want to run a query in order to avoid doing unnecessary work.
The less queries the better, because there are over 15 people using it and I don´t want unnecessary traffic.

I was looking for an option where the fields dissapear or simply show up empty when the form is first open.

Obviously I can make invisible all the fields at first, but I am hoping someone might have a better system...

Your help is appreciated

there are a couple of work arounds that come to mind, but I can't think of any really good solutions. You could add a blank record at in your table, and make sure that it came up first, before the data is shown. Or it is fairly popular to make all the fields invisible at first, because then you don't have to add false data to your table.

Could you post your code? I have several forms to view information and haven't ever had this problem. Maybe it can be solved in code.

HTH!

-Brad

thanks blarson0

No problem, I´ll go for the "make invisible" option.

Don´t worry about the code, it is quite a bit of a mess!

I was hoping someone would say "Frank, you forgot to change such and such parameter..." however it doesn´t seem that way...

Hi! I had the same problem with textboxes that were based upon a combobox selection. I just filled in the "Default Value" in the Properties of each textbox waiting for input to "0", and that got rid of the #Name? thingy.

HTH ;-)
JayeD
"I'm sure of two things: there IS a God, and I'm NOT Him!" - R. Williams

thanks shortone

Where exactly should I put this 0 ?
I´ve put "0" on the default value but still shows #name? .
Your help is appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back