Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I do not want to backup modified files, but how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voierr

MIS
Oct 17, 2008
GB
Hi,

I'm using Classic File Scan on my File and Print Win2003 servers. I have not ticked the boxes "Preserve Access Time" or "Check Archive Bit during...". CV is ver7 SP5. Backups work fine with SyntheticFulls and Incr as they should.

Now, I'm needing to shrink 1000's of jpgs on 80 servers but DO NOT want them to be backed up after I've changed them(incrementally I mean). I'm thinking I need to clear the archive bit on these files using the attrib command.

My question is, what is CV using to determin what to backup if, as mentioned above, the archive bit does not appear to be being reset?

Will my plan work? Will the SyntheticFull be affected?

Thanks

Simpana will use the MS Change Journal to determine the files during the scan process. As they do not change, you should be fine.

The Synthetic Full will only use what has been backed up. If these file will not be backed up, then the Synth Full will be fine as well.

May i suggest you test the behavior on a small subclient first.

You could apply a filter on your subclients...
But that only works when filenames or paths are similar on all servers.

605, thanks for responding.

I don't think I made myself too clear.

I am definitely changing the 1000's of jpg's by shrinking/resizing them (to save space) but I do not want to back them up at next backup (WAN links cannot handle that much data).

If I'm using the "Classic File Scan" option in the CV iDataAgent, with no ticks as above, what does CV then use to see if the files have changed?

I've cleared the attrib using "attrib -a" on a few files but they still get backed up.

Am I being a numpty?

Sybje,

Ta for that. I hear you but I don't want to exclude them completely. I just want to "skip at next backup".

Hi,

If it is easy to apply a filter, I would do that... You can remove the filter if you want to backup the files again.

I don't think you can manage it in any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back