Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I Changed the bios and now my computer will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjump

Vendor
Feb 28, 2003
US
Hi
In the BIOS I changed the CPU speed from 100mhz to 133mhz. I also at the same time changed the ram speed from 100mhz to 133mhz. When I rebooted the computer will not start. No video and the HD activity light stays on most of the time.
Can ayone help me out of my screw up????

Thank you

Rick

Dig up the manual for the motherboard, and look for the "Clear CMOS" jumper. Follow the instructions.
If you can't find it, take the battery off the motherboard for about 5 minutes. Either will reset the BIOS to defaults (usually) and at least you'll be able to boot. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Another Overclocking attempt gone wrong *sigh*

But I don't under stand when you say you increased you CPU from 100>133 *Thats fine* the hard bit is your RAM from 100>133???

Someone correct me if I am wrong but any board that supports 75Mhz>233Mhz Socket7 CPUs only take 66MhzSDRAM or 33mhz EDO Or 16Mhz Fast Page RAM

Tribbled, EDO !!! Are you slightly out of date with your memory specifications ??? ;-)

DIMM Modules on most modern systems run at either 100Mhz or 133Mhz, unless the board is running DDR which runs at 266,333,400Mhz then theres the very expensive RAMBUS which runs at over 500Mhz.

Chances are the system mentioned above is NOT a Socket 8 more likely a Socket A, or Socket 478 or similar.

The following link shows some details of newer standards.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi,
thank you guys for your help. To explain things a little better this is what I did, I went in the bios cpu settings and changed the following:
1. Cpu speed from 100\100MHz to 133\133MHz
2. DRAM frequency from 100 MHz to 133 MHz.
3. The computer would not start after the changes.
4. I did like you guys said and cleared the bios by the jumpers.
4. I’m up and running again
The reason why I made the change was because I thought because the SDRAM was 133MHz the cpu speed need to match. Iguess I was wrong. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it!!

pjump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back