Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I can't send emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

caraloca

Technical User
Mar 27, 2003
CA
Hi, I just noticed that I can not send emails since 4 days ago, I am using netscape 7.1 mail with my pop3 account, winxp pro.
I can receive emails but I can not send, I check my preferences in netscape and it looks fine to me.
Any ideas?

Hello

Do you get any error messages (eg unable to connect to SMTP server) when trying to send?

Also has something changed in your system configuration about 4 days ago when you were able to send emails?

John

Hi, no I got no errors , that's why I just noticed it yesterday, when I said an email at theend it sis 'mail delivered" and that it.
I have another pc with the same email account settings as this and they both look the same.
The last thing I installed was the Firebird browser but I hardly use it.
I will contact my internet provider, maybe something is happening.
If something changed my configuration, how can I know?, today I did a system restore but still the same.
Thank you

I, too, am having the same problem. I was getting the "unable to connect to SMTP" error message and so reinstalled Windows 2000 Pro. I installed Netscape 7.1 and it worked for few days and then stopped sending emails. I tried sending emails with Microsoft Explorer and have no problem sending emails that way, but when I use Netscape 7.1, it trys and then locks up the program.

I suspicion it may be a problem with a password.

Any help would be appreciated.

Prospector48

I am posting this question again since no one has answered it. I can't believe that I have found a problem that can't be solved. I am using Outlook with Internet Explorer as a work around, but I don't like it at all!
Please, can someone find the solution?

Prospector

I had the same problem for months. As a last resort, I followed somebody's advice whom I regarded as a crackpot earlier.

I changed the smtp server on every mail account that was not associated with my isp to my isp's smtp server as follows:

PREVIOUS CONFIG THAT DIDN'T WORK
--------------------------------
Account A - pop3="mail.a.com" smtp="mail.a.com"
Account B - pop3="pop3.b.com" smtp="smtp.b.com"
Account C - pop3="mail.c.net" smtp="mail.c.net" (My ISP)
Account D - pop3="pop.d.org" smtp="smtp.d.org"

CURRENT CONFIG THAT WORKS
--------------------------------
Account A - pop3="mail.a.com" smtp="mail.c.net"
Account B - pop3="pop3.b.com" smtp="mail.c.net"
Account C - pop3="mail.c.net" smtp="mail.c.net" (My ISP)
Account D - pop3="pop.d.org" smtp="mail.c.net"

I know that it seems strange to tell Outlook that to send mail from your "a.com" account, you have to send it through c.net, but it has worked for me. I believe it has something to do with people relaying spam through other ISPs' smtp servers.

Best of luck,
Mike

Problem Solved!

Thanks Mightypile,

Although your solution didn't work for me, it did trigger some additional thinking on my part. (Always a good thing!)

When I opened Windows and clicked on Netscape Mail and News Groups and then clicked on Outgoing Server (SMTP), I noticed that the port setting for the outgoing server was blank. When I put in 25 (the normal port setting for the outgoing server) Eureaka! I was able to send emails.

Appearently sometimes the antivirus program can mess up some of these things. (See Comcast Email Help FAQs:Email:General)

I also found that the Email Port settings should be as follows:
Normal SSL
Incoming 110 465
Outgoing 25 995

Hope this helps someone else. If so, please put a star by this post so I will know.
Prospector48

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back