Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I can't give permissions to specific users?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestleonard

Technical User
Mar 1, 2005
US
Hi,
I do have XP-Pro. If I go to share a folder, It 'looks like' regular XP-home edition. I used to give explicit users rights to that folder but now I can't. Does anybody know what I did and how to correct it???

Thanks in Advance,
Bob Leonard

Hi,
but now I can't is a little vague..
What happens when you try..

I use XP Pro and can add users from the local machine, the AD domains, etc..so I cannot replicate the problem unless I know a little more about what is preventing you from doing it.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

As I recall, I had a button on the permissions page that let me add/set individual users right to the folder. Now I don't see a way to do this (add inidvduals)

Thanks,
Bob

Hi,
Try:
Right-click on the folder...Choose Properties..Security

There should be a list of users already authorized ( like Administrator) and an ADD button...Pick a user..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Sounds like you may now have simple file sharing enabled.
Try looking under Folder Options - View in Windows Explorer. Simple file sharing is right at the bottom of the list.

Thanks bluenose.

How simple file sharing got enabled is a quandry???

Perhaps some software I installed did this???

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back