Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I Can't defragment my Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I Can't defragment my C drive because some unknown program is constantly accessing my hard drive. I can defragment other drives but not C. I have tryed disabling every progrom in the Control Alt Delete menu but it makes no difference. My hard drive is 16% fragmented now and eventually it will just come to a halt.
Is there a program that will show me all of the little programs runnig in the background. I need to do something about this quick.

go into safe mode and try it.

hit f8 as its booting, choose safe mode, and run from there.
this shld eliminate background programs from running.

:-Q x->

it would take a week to defrag my hard drive in safe mode. Iv'e tryed it and it is just too slow

Run Scandisk Thorough , then defrag in Safe mode , then download ME defrag .

----------------------------------

Windows ME defrag ( free ) , very fast . I don't need to close ( ctrl/alt/delete ) anything down to run defrag , no restarts .
Get it from here .

W9X-Me-Defrag

================================

Open Windows Explorer , go down to Windows , left click on the yellow folder , this opens the right hand panel .
Scroll down to defrag & write down the exact name . Next , right click on defrag , scroll down to rename & click on it . Now left click at the end of defrag & add the word old . So if you had the word defrag , it now becomes defragold .
Now rename MEdefrag to whatever you wrote down , drag & drop it on the yellow Windows folder or anywhere in the right hand side .
Both achive the same thing & Windows will after you close , put it alphabetically . That's it .

=================================

Also , to make ME Defrag even Faster for it's 1st run , from Windows Explorer , Delete all the files ( except the read only file ) in Windows > Applog . Taskmon will rebuild the Applog file .

To view Applog , do this .
Windows Explorer > View > Folder Options > View , click on Show all files . Click OK .

If you have not defragged for some time it will take up to approx 1 hour per gigabyte Take control of your life, not someone else's

Too slow compared to what? The other drives you defragmented earlier? Were they 16% fragmented or anywhere close? Windows Defragmenter is an extremely slow program. Plus, you have a lot more to shuffle around on C: than you probably do on any of your other drives...

Have you, by any chance, got a cdrw unit running nero 5572? I have heard recently of 3 different people having defrag problems with this version. If you have, uninstall it & set up with an earlier version until a fix is available.

defrag is no slower in safe mode.

u may need to run scandisk first,but with the larger hard drives, it takes longer...run it at night and when u come home from work the next day it shld be done.

:-Q x->

Just a thought,
I heard somewhere about editing the Win.ini? file to not load windows but to load defrag.exe and then re-edit it to run windows after the defrag (Was I imagining that?)
maybe I'm raving but somewhere in all the 'stuff' I've been taking in over the last few years, I'm sure I heard something along those lines.....
As I said, just a thought.
Regards Jim $:cool:$

I assume you are talking about windows 98? It is well known to have problems running defrag in normal mode. Mostly depends on the mobo, hard drive and applications you have installed, or does it?
I have worked for a corporation and a pc manufacutrer and have seen some machines have no problem, others of the same hardware and applications have major issues.
But in safe mode it would defragment just fine. In fact, all of my win98 machines defrag just fine in safemode. Granted, if it has been awhile, or never done at all, it is going to take awhile. Expecially the first time. Win98, and above, move all of your most used applications to the front of the drive, where it's the fastest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back