Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I cannot Share My ADSL Connection over the Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornza

Technical User
May 15, 2001
GB
Can anyone Help me as i am a Little Confused!
I cannot Connect any of my Windows 2000 Users to the Internet through my ADSL Connection
It seems to Run Fine With All The Win98 Users they Log onto the Internet without any Problems.
When i apply Similar Settings to the Win2000 Users they Just cannot Connect to the Internet
Please Help!

Do they all have the correct IP/Gateway and so on?

Or is this an ICS issue where you need to have Admin rights to share a connection in 2000.

Need more info and I will try and help.

Here goes.

My IP for my LAN is 192.217.197.2 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
My IP for my LAN connecting to my ADSL Box is 192.168.254.185 (it has to be 192.168.253.x Where x is any number between 1 & 199), Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 192.168.254.254
The default Gateway is the Connection to my ADSL!
With These settings i can connect to my ADSL no Problem!
But my client PCs Have the Follwing Configs.
The IP Addresses i Issue out using DHCP with a scope of 192.217.197.2 to 192.217.197.199
My default Gateway is 192.217.197.2 (pointing back to my DNS,DHCP & Domain Control Servers)
I try to make it a little clearer by changing my DNS Settings in WIN98 ie.pointing Directly to the Host,Domain and once again to the IP 192.217.197.2
With these Settings WIN98 Users Can Log onto the Internet via My Domain Controller & ADSL!
When i try to do the same with my Win2k Users it Doesn't Even Make any attempt it just gives the usual no Web page found Check DNS etc.....
I Think that is all the Info i can Give! if u need more Info Please Let me Know!! Thanks

I have been battling w/ a similar problem myself. I am using ICS. It sounds like you have a router. I have tried a SOHO router and didn't like it. I am back to my 8 port switch. I am using a 2000 server machine w/ 2 nic's. Cable connection is going into one nic and the other is connected to the switch. w/ router you wont need this setup.
When you say 2000 users are getting the error page, I guess you are talking about users connecting from the 2000 server machine. Or does that include 2000 pro machines as well?

The Other Problem I Failed to Mention is that i can Ping the ADSL nic (192.168.254.185) and get a reply i just cannot get a response from my ADSL Connection (192.168.254.254) which is like the Router to the Internet.
I Think i should Mention that my Server is Using Win2k Advanced Server with Exchange 2000 and All the Client Pc's are Either WIN98SE or Win2k Pro.

Similar setup here... 2000 Advanced server, 2K, NT and 98 clients. I've been using ICS to share DSL, which comes into the server on NIC2 and uses RASPPPoE protocol. I am not happy with ICS since it requires that the no other DHCP or DNS server is present. Well, okay, I can't figure out how to configure it correctly, and seem to stumble onto working solutions by hit and miss. I'm about to try NAT instead of ICS, but it looks like the same problems will exist, especially with DNS. I used a third-party internet sharing product called "All-Aboard" which worked wonderfully, but I wanted a native Windows environment.

Did you say you have a physical router for ADSL? If so, it is competing with your server's DHCP and DNS.

Um, I may have missed this, but I thought your gateway had to be on the same subnet.

Ie, your client IP's are 192.168.0.101-110
Your Gateway is 192.168.0.1
If it was 192.168.2.1 it wouldn't find it

Assuming of course that the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0

Cryptospy

You seem to have your ip address correct, but make sure you enable ip routing on the multihomed computer and make sure you have the correct route on the router and on the clients. Check microsoft technotes for router setup and default routes. Follow the step-by-step provided there. DZ

Thanx Guys will check the MS Technotes and also check my enable IP Routing on my Machines!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back