Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I cannot format my harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caudalie

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
US
hello everyone!

i have this older computer in my other room that is running windows 98 and it has two cd-rom drive and a hard drive with C: D: & E:, somthing strange happened to it after i installed some digital camera driver and the D: & E: mysteriously disapeared... So i installed norton system works 2004 and did some disk doctor and the D: some how came back. I can't get the E back and when ever i try to copy some stuff from the D: to the C: BLUE SCREEN POPS up and says write disk error, also i cannot install ANYTHING on the C without the BLUE SCREEN popping up. I also tried to Format using "format c" and in the middle of the format some message pops up about error in the disk cannot continue... So it's like.. riiight...

i'm like so confused right now, and also the computer is super slower than usual and i cannot run scan disk nor can i format without the blue screen coming up as well.

I'm wondering if the D: can come back as well then maybe everything will be fine? oh well i'm confused...

HELP!!!
thanks!

If the problem happened within the last 5 days, then restart the computer, press and hold down the Ctrl key during startup, select 'Command Prompt Only' from the menu that appears using the arrow keys, press the Enter key, at the C:\> prompt type scanreg /restore and press Enter, select a Registry that predates the problem, and press Enter.

thanks, i will try that.

i think this problem has been happening for more than 5 days though... But i will try that

What type of "video camera driver? If USB camera input, unplug camera during boot. Windows assigns drives (USB camera is seen as drive), anywhere it wants. I would also un-install the camera drivers until this is straitened out.

i remembered the message that it gives me when i try to format it.

Checking existing disk format
recording current bad clusters
complete
verifying 2,957,29

then after that it stops at

"trying to recover allocation unit"

--------------------
i don't have a video camera driver in that system.
at least i don't think so..

somthing strange happened to it after i installed some digital camera driver"

That's what I was refering to. As to your problem "trying to recover allocation unit", means that the hard drive has a sector that cannot be repaired. In other words, the hard drive has died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back