Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I can see the files, but they aren't really there! =\

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmoes

MIS
Apr 24, 2003
CA
Hey

I made a quick copy of a user profile while i was making changes for backup purposes. Now i'm going to delete that profile and there are 2 temp internet files that will not delete. I get this error when I try to delte the folder.

---------------------------
Error Deleting File or Folder
Cannot delete HEALTH~1: Cannot find the specified file.

Make sure you specify the correct path and filename.
OK

I get this error if I try to look at the properties of the 2 files.

Desktop
The properties for this item are not available.
OK

and absolutely nothing happens when I right click/delete on the 2 files. everything else in the directory deleted without a problem.

I've run scandisk, i've rebooted, i've defraged and scanned again. I've run antivirus... nothing..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

hmm, there is no deltree command in win2k.. I'll have to find it from a win98 cd

Whoops, you're right, my bad. I'll presume an RD will give you a "Directory is not empty" error?

At my location we've had some NTFS "ghost" files that would only go away following a system restart.

Thanks for the thought harryrich, but they're not ghost files... I just don't understand how i could copy them in the first place as they haven't changed! from the profile the were originally stored in

Can you delete the related profile in the registry?

Well, it's not a real profile, because it was a backup from a different profile i was making changes to. So there should be no registry entries.

yep, that was the first thing i tried.

:
but thanks.

Have you tried to ADD a file with the same name to the folder? maybe that will clear up the problem or give a useful error msg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back