Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I are completely new at doing anyth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Soenen

Vendor
Oct 5, 2016
US
I am completely new at doing anything with DID trunks. I have 2 Schools, both have a Nortel MICS with 7.1 software. They are about 10,000 feet apart. They are requesting having an phone extension from each others school that can be used by multiple extensions in each school. In other words they want to talk to each others school without tying up their regular trunk lines. Can this be done using DID trunks? If so I really need step by step instructions, I understand it's not a simple process, Thanks Ken

You wont get training on forums. Call a vendor in for training rather than asking step by step.
As for DIDs they are direct phone numbers so no it wont work.
Best to update system to IP for that otherwise E&M and OPX etc required or Gateways.

Add me to LinkedIN

**New Allworx Forum**

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

I'm not sure of all the features on Norstars in NA, but I had a case like yours many years ago and we sort of resolved it by using spare analogue trunks and ATA's.

We configured each Norstar so that one analogue trunk from one system had an ATA extension from the other system. All the user needed to do was to access the trunk and they then became an extension off the other system. They could then dial any extension off the other site. This setup was repeated at the other end. It was a cheap and cost effective way of linking up both sites.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Thank you for your feedback & ATA to trunk idea. Does anyone know the farthest distance from the switch an ATA will work properly?

ATA's use digital signal too and from the KSU, digital signals are supported up to 3000 feet.
The Analog port however goes a long way....not sure how far but you should be ok.

Your issue though as I mentioned is you need that OPX type of circuit or use the Gateways if you can find them or "Analog Extenders" both via the Internet.

Add me to LinkedIN

**New Allworx Forum**

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Firebird has the solution for you. We've used this many times in the past using telco provided OPX's. ATA's will give you at least a 5km distance, but you must use the external ATA's, the ports off an ASM don't have the horsepower to run a circuit that far.

From a purely hypothetical / theoretical standpoint, you should be able to cross connect analog trunk ports to DID trunk ports, then program target lines with received digits and all that nonsense. The ATA's will give you the same functionality but without a lot of the programming the DID trunks would need and at greater distances.

-Qz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back