Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am very much a newbie to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruairi

Programmer
May 14, 2000
US
I am very much a newbie to internet programming. I would appreciate any input on a few questions i have.

1) I am working on a website in visual interdev. I heard from someone that you should already have a web hosting service selected and use their server name as the SERVER when creating a new project. Is this true? it doesnt make sense that you would need to set up the final server information when creating a project.

2) I have been having problems getting a straight answer from any web hosting services as to whether or not they fully support interdev's features. Is it a safe bet that any web hosting service i choose (provided i choose a windows server) will allow me to create a website using databases and server side objects. I don't have a clear idea yet as to what classes i may be creating to run on the server. Is this likely to be an issue in the future?

Ruairi
ruairi@logsoftware.com
Experienced with:

VB6, SQL Server, QBASIC, C(unix), MS Office VBA solutions

ALSO: Machine Control/Automation using GE and Omron PLC's and HMI(human machine interface) for industrial applications

you need to have an NT Server or server that supports Frontpage Exentsion, otherwise how can you use interdev to log onto the server and start creating your pages?
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Hi

It is not always nessary to open you visual interdev with project. you can also work in visual interdev by opening it as the file.

That is intead of opening a project u can use open file where u can specifiy the file u want to work with. there by u can avoid giving the server name.

Thanks
Muthukumar MuthuKumar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back