Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am unable to configure ODBC Drivers in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonDoran

Technical User
Aug 7, 2003
GB
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me, I have recently created a new Windows XP Professional image for use within an Oracle Development Department. This image has amongst other things several imstances of Oracle installed. The problem I have though is when I try and install the Oracle 8.01.01 ODBC Driver, I am not presented with the option to configure the DSN at all, and the ODBC driver doesn;t appear in the Data Sources listings.

Has anyone else had any similar problems, if so how were you able to resolve the issue?

Many thanks

Jason

How are you installing the Oracle 8.01.01 ODBC Driver? Via the Oracle setup program?

In ODBC Data Source Admin The Drivers tab picks up info from HKLM\Software\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI

I have installed the full Oracle 8.1.7 Client onto the image, and as a result of that, I have the option to install the Oracle ODBC Driver from Data Sources in Control panel/ admin tools - but as mention, the options page when I select it do not appear when I click finish

Hi,
Be sure to use the version of the ODBC driver for 8.1.7 clients and be sure to first set the default Oracle_Home to the 8.1.7 one, not the older ones, since you have multiple versons on that machine..
The ODBC stuff will then work..

[profile]

Turkbear,

You are a star, that sorted out the problem perfectly.

Thanks

Jason

Hi,
Thanks...
I learned about this in the usual way..I did it wrong, tried stuff and finally figured it out [dazed]..
Happy to save you some of the steps...
( Unless needed, multiple Oracle clients are a pain to deal with..If you only need the client softeare, use the latest avaiable and get rid of the others. Oracle is 'backwards' compatible so, for instance, the 9.2 client can work with any 8.x or 9.x database )

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back