Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am trying to hide an Adobe Ole Control error from the user using a nested Try/Catch.

CFauvel2

Programmer
Jul 27, 2024
US
Powerbuilder 11.5 and latest Adobe Reader

It is a window with the an Adobe reader OLE control in it,

I have the following code to try to
1 - not crash the powerbuilder app
2 - hide from the user the scary error message.

TRY
ole_1.object.src_ = is_local_pdf_copy_filepath //the SRC is purposely misspelled to throw an error
CATCH (Throwable the_exception)

string ls_test
ls_test = the_exception.text

TRY

ole_1.object.loadfile_(is_local_pdf_copy_filepath) //the LoadFile is purposely misspelled to throw an error
CATCH (Throwable the_exception2)
ls_test = ls_test + '~r~n' + the_exception2.text

MessageBox('Claim Processing','A problem occurred trying to load the pdf within ADOBE reader. You are not going to be able to prelog this claim. ')

String ls_message
ls_message = 'A problem occurred trying to load the pdf within ADOBE reader. neither the Loadfile or .SRC call worked. ' + '~r~n' +ls_test
this.event ue_send_email_pdf( the_exception2,ls_message)

Close(this)
RETURN
END TRY

END TRY

The try/catch is working in that it doesn't crash the app...but I get an error message on the first call...the second call fails silently like I want

Any ideas how to get the first call to fail silently ?

OleRunTimeError_Adobe_bhtk1i.png

UPDATE - I do NOT know why but adding a IF statement to the calls has given me the desired results

if upper(sqlca.servername) = 'XXXXXX' then
ole_1.object.src_ = is_local_pdf_copy_filepath //in DEV it lands here as intended and the errors are silent and caught
ELSE
ole_1.object.src = is_local_pdf_copy_filepath
END IF

UPDATE2: I added an AND looking for a particular person's login account and the first bad call bubbled up again. (the screen shot)
But when I built the app and deployed it into a dev area (exe and PBDs) the popup message didn't popup (as desired) ....must be something about Running the app within the IDE.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back