Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am such an idiot. Plugged in wrong power adapter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcastner

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
US
I was resorting through the mess of cables behind my desk and after cleaning up the tangle made the stupid, idiotic, completely ridiculous mistake of plugging the power adapter for my linksys switch into my beloved linksys WAP11, which promptly made a soft popping noise, a small cloud of grey smoke, and is dead, dead, dead.

Taking it apart, it appears that two surface mount components are blown immediately downstream from the + side of the power connector. One is a tiny black rectangle, silver on the top third, marked A41. The other is a very tiny rectangle, tan in color, also striped silver on on end. I suspect this is only visible damage, that the overvoltage has taken the thing out (it wanted 5 volts, it got 7.5).

But I thought I would try here to see if anyone else has plugged in the wrong connector to a Linksys or similar product and salvaged it.

One last thought: I hate power transformer bricks, particularly if they have no pigtail to prevent them blocking an AC outlet (or two). I know you can get adapters to workaround this, but I hate having to do it. To add to my dislike, is the fact that the things are not marked by the factory. I have six of these wall warts behind my desk, and had marked most. I just always thought I would remember......

Darn I feel stupid.

A couple things. You might try contacting linksys, they may repair your device for less than a new one. Also, cyberguys has a one foot cord they sell so these warts don't block your outlets. They cost $1.50 or so.

The power adaptor you inadvertantly plugged in might be reversed polarity to the correct PSU or even AC when your device required DC... It's possible that the black rectangular device might be a diode of some sort (zener maybe) which has blown, and maybe the tan coloured component is a capacitor. Whatever, it's worth contacting Linksys as FRANKLIN97355 suggests...

Good luck.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

After about 3 or 4 more like this you get smarter. Generally, once is not enough. I speak from experience.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

G0AOZ,

It was DC, correct polarity, just the wrong voltage, 7.5 volts instead of the desired 5 volts.

It was the power cord for a Linksys switch and not the WAP11.

I mixed up the adapters on a Laptop and Printer. It killed the Laptop. After the smoke cleared and the people standing next to me stopped saying "Wow!!" and "Is it suppose to do that?" I was finally able to stop Sobing. I returned to the store with my tail between my legs, my warranty in hand and the shinny new Laptop under my arm. I wandered over and took my well earned place in line with the other kind and friendly misfits.

... and the manufacturer eyed up his ever increasing bank balance, rubbed his hands together and said to his design team, "And what different voltage can we come up with for the next new model we make!"

ROGER - G0AOZ.

mainegeek,
Know the feeling, had my turn in line. [lol]
bcastner,
Sympathise, been there, done that. Doesn't help I know, it is always the one you do not mark. Hope you get it sorted.
edfair,
How right you are.

Ted

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
(William James)

I like it when they make it so you need a microscope to read the voltage and whether or not it's AC/DC but the brand name can be read from across the room. Fun times in the line, welcome. Please take a pastry.

a completed item search at an online auction firm might give you a price comparison basis for repair vs purchase.

If you have a radio or tv type friend that can do circuit board repair they might be willing to take a look at it for you in exchange for some of your knowledge/guidance in other computer areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back