Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am running a Window 2000 domain a

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimbc

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2001
US
I am running a Window 2000 domain and I am having trouble with logging in. I have DHCP running. Here is what is happening.

On some computer, the login works fine when I set it up as a dynamic client. On others, I have to set a static IP address on the client to make the login work. I am not sure what is the problem. There is only 12 computers in the network, but yet on some of the computer, when I try to log in, it give me a domain controller not found.

I set the IP scope for the DHCP server to server with the address of 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.254. Is this a good addressing scheme to be using? Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance

Not quite enough detail here..
When you say you sometimes have to assign a static IP address instead of DHCP assigned address - does the client get an IP address assigned ?

before you assign a static IP - run ipconfig /all - has the Ip address been assigned correctly ?

If you are using DHCP - are you assigning a DNS and WInS server via the scope ?
As with many Win 2000 problems it may be that you haven't got DNS set up correctly or your client hasn't got a a DNS server assigned.

Remember you can have what looks like normal networkk connectivity - browsing, pinging etc via WINS and broadcasts. BUT you must have DNS set up correctly for anything involving the AD - logging in, group policies, adding computers/users etc etc.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers

To help clarify the question. Here is what I've done.

On the client computer I've set up to recieve dynamic IP addressing from the DHCP server. But when I go to log in, it says it can not find the domain controller, so I assigned it a static IP address and the login works. On some computer, this not necessary.

But thanks for the advice, I will check the DNS to see it it's configured correctly.

BTW, any addition advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

We had exactly the same problem, and it is still an ongoing problem.
The only way I have temporary resolution is because I went round to each machine and put an entry in the host file pointing to the server.This is obviously not a good solution, fine in a small network(only 15 or so users)but in a large network would be a mare.Sorry to tag on to this Q but if you know of a solution it'd really help me too

AimBC,

It sounds like your network services are working fine (I can tell this because you say that when you assign a static IP address, the user can login.)

So, next time you find a machines having a problem DON'T assign a static IP address. Instead, try some trouble shooting.

1) On the problematic PC, find out if is has an IP address. In general, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows 98 machines will automatically assign themselves and IP address IF they can not find a DHCP server AND IF they are configured for DHCP. Look at the problematic machine's IP address. Does it have one? IF so, is it in this range (from 169.254.0.1 through 169.254.255.254)? If the IP address on the client is in this range, your client is not getting an IP from the DHCP server. Instead it is automatically assigning itself an IP. When it does this, it will not be able to "talk" to you servers...and it won't be able to logon.

2) Check the event viewer for error messages related to DHCP. What are these?

3) Does your DHCP scope have enough free addresses to assign to your entire machines pool? MAybe you are running out of DHCP addresses...

4) Is this happening only in physical location? You have to make sure your routers are BootP enabled to use DHCP...If not, you will need a DHCP relay agent on the other side of the router.

-hope some of this helps. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

I've seen crappy hubs cause problems like this. If your connecting to the DHCP server via a Hub, swap it out and see what happens.

When the workstations asks for an IP address, it broadcasts a message asking for a DHCP server, sometimes a crappy hub can interupt this broadcast, ot the reply from the DHCP server.

(PS: I still think recent updates have caused some crappy problems)

This is all useful advice above - I think the problem here could be down two routes
1) We don't know if DHCP is correctly assigning an IP address in all cases. If they are not - Joseph has run through a good troubleshooting list - the trick is as he says don't assign a static IP - try and troubleshoot the problem.
(I must admit this solution is looking more likely)

2) It could be misleading though - there may be problems with network services and you can still log in some circumstances. You can login using cached credentials etc - for instance we had many problems with users not getting policies applied when they log in - this is again DNS.

I'm sure you've got enough info from all the above posts to solve this one - good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back