Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am not sure why it won't compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppat60

Programmer
Oct 20, 2007
US
I am passing in $data as an array Color, Number(1-6); $RouteTwo is an array of 18 elelments of colors{Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Black}; and $saveNewPos is a variable that stores a color from another function.

I want to compare $data[0] to $saveNewPos, but it does not appear to work. when I echo the variables separate they me Yellow which is correct, but it does not get into the appropriate elseif statement.

Can someone explain this to me?

Code:
public function ArrayWater($data,$RouteTwo,$saveNewPos)
  {
    echo"(ArrayWater)your in the save new Array function look for which player: <br>";
    echo "data[0] = " .$data[0]. " <br>saveNewPos =  " .$saveNewPos. " <br>";

if( $data[0] == $saveNewPos){
      $Player_Array[0][2] = "Route Two";
      $Player_Array[0][3] = $RouteTwo[0];
      $Player_Array[0][5] = $RouteTwo;
    }
    elseif($data[0] == $saveNewPos){
    echo "(ARRAYWATER P2)you in array two";
        $Player_Array[1][2] = "Route Two";
        $Player_Array[1][3] = $RouteTwo[0];
        $Player_Array[1][5] = $RouteTwo;
    }
      $Player_Array[2][2] = "Route Two";
        $Player_Array[2][3] = $RouteTwo[0];
        $Player_Array[2][5] = $RouteTwo;
    }
      $Player_Array[3][2] = "Route Two";
        $Player_Array[3][3] = $RouteTwo[0];
        $Player_Array[3][5] = $RouteTwo;
    }
    else
      {echo("Error: error in Water Array Function" );}
  }

Thank You in advance.
patrick

It's not clear to me what you're trying to do.

<soapbox>
elseif is an evil construct that, as far as I am concerned, should never have been included in PHP. It should never be used, as nested if-else statements and switch blocks are easier to debug.
</soapbox>

Rewriting your code to remove all those elseifs and instead use nested if-else statements, I get the following:

Code:
{
	echo"(ArrayWater)your in the save new Array function look for which player: <br>";

if( $data[0] == $saveNewPos)
	{
	}
	else
	{
		if($data[0] == $saveNewPos)
		{
		}
		else
		{
			{
				$Player_Array[2][2] = "Route Two";
				$Player_Array[2][3] = $RouteTwo[0];
				$Player_Array[2][5] = $RouteTwo;
			}
			else
			{
				{
					$Player_Array[3][2] = "Route Two";
					$Player_Array[3][3] = $RouteTwo[0];
					$Player_Array[3][5] = $RouteTwo;
				}
				else
				{
					echo("Error: error in Water Array Function" );
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

You're using the same clause in every if-statement, namely [tt]$data[0] == $saveNewPos[/tt] and you're not changing either variable as you go.

Imagine that the statement [tt]$data[0] == $saveNewPos[/tt] evaluates to TRUE. If it does the first block will be run, and once that block is done, the program pointer will end up at the last close-bracket just before the bracket that closes the function.

Now imagine that the statement [tt]$data[0] == $saveNewPos[/tt] evaluates to FALSE. Then no if-statement, all the way down, will allow its block of code to be run. The default behavior, then is the last, innermost else-block that has no if-statment..

As I see it, your code is functionally equivalent to

Code:
{

if( $data[0] == $saveNewPos)
	{
	}
	else
	{
		echo("Error: error in Water Array Function" );
	}
}

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

sleipnir214

thanks for your insight. after implemented your structure, I am still have the same issue. Which is I can not get any of my if statement to work.

when I echo this out(below)
Code:

it returns this: data[0] = Yellow
saveNewPos = Yellow

with that returned above then shouldn't this execute next?
Code:
        {

How can I fix this?

Cheers

I dunno. Are you sure there are no unseen characters in either string? Try:

Code:
echo "data[0] = '" .$data[0]. "' <br>saveNewPos =  '" .$saveNewPos. "' <br>";

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

Okay so I am think I have it narrowed down to what the issue is now, however I do not know how to fix. I am using a for loop to cycle through an arra like this.
Code:
for($i = 0; $i <= $data[1]; $i++)
{
    echo("(MoveArray) landed on : ");
    echo( $saveNewPos = $Array[$i]. "<br>");
}

So then I pass this value $saveNewPos which holds a color let's say Yellow. So now when I try and compare $saveNewPos I can not. How can I make this vaule comparible?
Code:
where both $data[0] and $saveNewPos equal Yellow.

Please verify the values in the variables. With the testing methdology you described earlier, you might be trying to match "Yellow" to "Yellow " (notice the trailing space that would not have been visible) and not detecting it visually.

sleipnir214,

i did verify that I only spelled "Yellow" once in the very begin to insert it into an array $RouteOne. Then I insert that array into an assoc array at indexes [1][5]. Then during Enact_Turn function I assign $Player_Array[1][5] to a varable $myRteArray then I assing it to something called $Array then I start by telling the user they are at posting $Array[0]. And this all works. But there is something in the the string that will not allow me to compare...

I am open to any ideas as a work around or fix to this issue.

Thank you.

I figured it out. I am not sure how to fix it though. The variable $saveNewPos is in an array format for Yellow. What i mean is $saveNewPos[0] = Y, $saveNewPos[1] = e ... etc.

I assume that becase I am using $Array[$i] to loop through my array or something. Is there a way I can somehow create a new variable to create the word Yellow again from an array like the one above?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back