Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am not sure if my computer supports PCI, PCI express, or AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mage1989

Technical User
Feb 6, 2007
US
Here is my computer's information. I am wondering how to find out if my computer can support a PCI express video card. Any help will be very much appreciated.

It is a SONY Vaio desktop PC. (If any other information is needed please let me know.)

Computer:
Computer Type: ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack: Service Pack 2
DirectX: 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4, 2400 MHz (18 x 133)
Motherboard Name: Asus Kirin-V
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Brookdale-G i845GEV
System Memory: 1015 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type: Award Modular (05/14/03)
Communication Port: Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port: ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB)
3D Accelerator: Intel Extreme Graphics
Monitor: Sony SDM-HS53 [15" LCD] (6004066)

Some versions of the 845 chipset only have integrated video, but I believe the i845GEV has an AGP 4x slot. Check at Sony's site to be sure.

As for which video card, there are guides at that can help you. I found a recent one that shows the best AGP card for under $100, which is the GeForce 6600 GT:

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Yours definately does not have a PCIe slot so that card is not compatable.
If you are lucky! then your motherboard may have a dedicated AGP slot but the only way you are going to know for certain is take off the side and look.
The AGP slot (if it has one) is at the top, closest to the CPU, they are normally a different colour (brown or black mostly) and it is set back when compared to the other (PCI) white upgrade slots.

The Nvidia 6600GT would be a very good choice if you can still find one in AGP form.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back