Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am looking to completely clear a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jooky68

Programmer
Jul 10, 2002
US
I am looking to completely clear a harddrive and reinstall an OS(windows xp). I have always used Fdisk to do this. Is there anything else out there that anyone can recommend?

Also I installed xp a while ago, i used fdisk to wipe out the harddrive and I installed windows xp fresh. I have this little partition on my hard drive that has nothing in it...that i know of. It has its own drive letter D: and if i try to access this it always says drive is not formatted would you like to format. Is there anyway to get rid of this, and also does anyone have a clue of what i might of done wrong with the Installation?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time

Paul J.

Hi,
When u use fdisk, make sure you only select on partition. Which will be your primary dos partition. After that type in Format c: (assuming C is your default drive letter). That should take care of it. Just remember, doing this will completely erase your harddrive and you will have to do a fresh install

Rus

During the installation of XP, you can work with the partitions - no extra tools needed. Just delete all the existing partitions and repartition however you'd like. The XP installation will then format for you before it installs.

Like Smash said, you don't format the same way with XP as you might have done with earlier operating system's.

Set your CD as first boot device in the BIOS, boot to the Win XP installation CD. Follow the instructions on the screen until you get to the point where you see all the partitions.

Delete them all (if that's what you want to do) then recreate one or more partitions (personal preference), then let it do its thing.

You'll be up and running in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back