Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am getting a KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikevahl

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2003
US
My Netserver LC3 is getting the above message upon bootup. As soon as the login screen shows, it crashes. I am running NT 4.0 sp6. I just did a Windows Update and rebooted. I cannot get in to uninstall it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Try last known good configuration at boot up?

Is your system partitoin NTFS or DOS? If DOS, try booting with a boot disk, see if you can run chkdsk. If NTFS, do you have more then 600MB of free space on the system partition to do a paralell install?

AM

this error usualy caused because of driver problem.
as am said u can try with last known good configuration

The problem is with the gina.dll file.

To resolve this problem:
Install a parallel copy of Windows NT in a different folder on the hard disk or connect the drive to another NT system.

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
On the the Window menu, click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine. On the Registry menu, click Load Hive. Type the path to the Software hive of the prior installation (%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\Software), and then click Open.
When you are prompted for the name of the key, type test.
Scroll down to the following registry entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon

Delete the GinaDLL value. Deleting this entry forces Windows NT to default to the Msgina.dll file at startup.
Double-click the minus sign in the folder representing the TEST key, and then click the TEST key. On the Registry menu, click Unload Hive. This saves the registry changes to the prior installation's SOFTWARE hive.
Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer using the prior installation of Windows NT.

ANOTHER problem could be if the drive is larger than 8G. Then some key system files could have been moved above the 8G level which prevents access upon bootup. In that case, you would have to get the files moved below using partition magic or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back