Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am about to design a number of sy

Status
Not open for further replies.

razavi

MIS
Oct 10, 2001
IR
I am about to design a number of systems for a factory, including:
Payroll, Accounting, Production Control, Preventive Maintenance, Office Automation, Human Resource, etc.

How should I design the users? Should users login as SQL/Server users or should they be my application's users?

How should my application control users' access to buttons on forms?

It seems you're talking about a full ERP solution. Why not look at ready made solutions from Oracle, SAP, MS , etc.

As for SQL security, look for implementing an Application Role. Search sql server Books Online for more info...

Hi,
I am a start up programmer working on an OLTP system, based on VB6, DCOM, ADO and SQL Server 7, aiming to track the
inventory, as the items are assembled into a finished product in a manufacturing facility. Can you advise me where to review some sample scenarios or solutions on the topic?

You might want to pick up a couple of books on SAP R/3. I did some work on an inventory system a few years ago, and I found the book "Distribution Inventory Management" by Gordon Graham very useful. Your situation is different, as it seems you'll need to track work in progress, which I didn't have to.

Off hand, I think you'll have to design a table keyed by a station number, which has another table to link stations together to reflect the manufacturing process order. You'd then track the number of parts coming into each station, the number positioned at each station, and the number leaving the station for the next station. If your parts are serial-numbered, or you have a lot of waste, things get a little more complex...

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back