Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am a network administrator and I

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsefinally

Technical User
Apr 3, 2002
US
I am a network administrator and I need to know if there are any third party products that will help me decode a password that someone has mailisciously put on my network???

Any help would be appreciated>>>.MCSE FINALLY

Need more info then that. What type of password are you talking about?? A logon password, document password??
mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

thanks- someone has created 2 users accounts and placed them in our administrative group and we were hoping to decode them and see if they were the same password- to verify that the same person created them

If I were the admin I wouldn't worry about what the password says. Someone, you don't know who, placed them there. Delete them out and fix your security.

I know this doesn't help the situation, Just my two cents.

Right- I agree. But someone used this account to crash the system and we are trying to track who created the account or some how isolate - we have narrowed it one individual and now just trying to collect concrete information. We had never had a problem until now.

This has become a very serious situation at work.

I agree completely. If you have people creating user accounts on your system that you don't want, you have a real security issue. The amount of time you will spend attempting to crack these passwords is mundane. Lock down your user rights, and you will not have this problem in the future.

mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

I don't think that you can tell what user created an account.

Do you have any idea who created the accounts, i.e internal or external

thanks for all the help-

They are considering bringing some kind of off-site people to work on this. Because it has quickly escalated into criminal activity.

I was hoping to get some info before it went that far.

But management wants to take it further- I was trying to control it from within.

E-mail me at VAYMSEFSZVLV-at-spammotel.com and I'll send you a link. I've seen this particular package work, it's very impressive. It may take some time, but it gets most passwords.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone who is helping- we are getting somewhere with all the info you have sent my way.

Any ideas on how to determine who created an account if we did not have auditing to log account management?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back