Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am a beginner and need help with MYSQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghus32

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2007
CA
Hello Everyone,

I am moving into an office where I will be required to learn how to use SQL language with MYSQL. I dont have any programming experience and was wondering where should I start? Maybe with C sharp. Any suggestions will be helpful

Hi

Now you want to learn MySQL or programming ? You can learn a lot of MySQL without using any programming language. If you must use a programming language too, I would suggest to use a scripting language, a simple one with good documentation. Let us say PHP.

Feherke.

thnaks for the suggestion. I want to get into programming a little later, but I must familiarize myslef with things such as mySQL PHP, OBDC Links, and Crystal Reports. I believe they are running their databases with MYSQL. I have only netwrok admisitration experience with no programming or data base :( so I am ready to hit the books, just looking for where to start because of such a wide spectrum. So learning PHP maybe the best solution ?

Hi

No. The best solution is to learn what you actually have to know.

I suggested PHP because it is simple and well documented. So learning as much as you need to interact with MySQL will not require too much learning to distract from your main goal.

Feherke.

You may also want to ASK which database application they are running and not GUESS that it is mysql.

Syntax varies from database to database, so while many things will be the same, they won't all be.

If you just want to learn MySQL by using the local command client/server “C:MYSQL>” then you are learning just the “SQL” language that talks with/to the server. No other programming is required. Then later you can learn perl, PHP, etc as needed.

SAMS Teach Yourself MySQL in 21 Days ISBN 0-672-31914-4

It comes with a back level CD copy of the product that you can install on your own PC to learn basic commands from.

I have my students get it for their own home training. The cost was $39.99. You may be able to get a used copy on-line.

Computer thought: I teach a lot of programming so I can learn. You can never learn it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back