Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hypertext issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffhowz

Technical User
Nov 7, 2005
CA
Hello everyone

I need some help.

This is the first time I've used this forum.

I create a hypertext link in my FM document. I select the text, apply a unique character tag, then select Special, Hypertext. I select Go to URL and then type in the URL I wan t t link to.

The problem is that the hyperlink does not work. I have received a FM document from another user who has imbedded hypertext links. They don't work on my PC but will work fine on hers. So it seems that its not thye creation of the link but the execution on my computer. I can execute links successfully in Word!!!

Help, I'm at my wits end!

Appreciate any help sugestions, etc
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Here's what I do.

Prerequisite: These steps only work if you are creating hyperlinks within the same document.

1) Put your cursor where you want the hypertext destination to be.

2) Click Special > Hypertext.

3) From the Command list, select Specify Named Destination.

4) The Syntax box will show newlink.

5) Enter your destination name behind newlink. For instance, you might want to call your destination audience, so your Syntax box would look like this:

newlink audience

FM doesn't care what you call the link, but you do have to remember what you called it cause you will reference it when you create the new hypertext marker to jump here. So, the simpler the better.

6) Click New Hypertext Marker to insert the new marker called audience. (Note: I also have my Validate Command upon Insertion check box selected. This ensures that FM will validate your input before you save and leave your document.)

7) Now, go to the spot in the same document where you want the user to click in order to jump to the new destination you just created.

8) Put your cursor at the beginning of the text.

9) Click Special > Hypertext again.

10) Use the Command list to select Jump to Named Destination and enter audience behind the gotolink that displays in the Syntax box. So your Syntax box would look like:

gotolink audience

11) Cilck New Hypertext Marker again to save your marker.

12) Now, use a Character Format to change the appearance of the desired text to a link (I use my XREF character format that is blue, but not underlined).

Note: These markers will not work until you publish the file to a PDF (view only). But, at least they will appear blue in order to alert you to check for correct results.

BTW, FM covers all these and many more topics in their online help if you go to Creating hypertext links.

Good luck!

BTW, just discovered myself that the linked destination text must contain only ONE WORD, e.g., audience and not audience participation.

Also, you can jump to other docs by just including the filename after the gotolink. The Syntax box would look like:

gotolink introduction.fm:audience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back