Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperterminal problem with W2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger2001

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2001
BE
Hi,

I've been successfully using Hyperterminal on a W98 PC linked to the Meridial Op11 using serial cable & nul modem.
Everything works OK - VT100, 9600,8,N,1.

I want to dispose of the old PC, so tried hooking exactly the same cable to W2003 server using Hyperterminal with same settings. Machine says it connects, but no key presses work.

Move cable back to W98 machine and everything works fine.

(BTW I can't use Procomm or the like because as a corporate policy we aren't allowed to put any other sofware on the servers.

Any suggestions please, it's driving me mad!

might want to get a job with a decent company... are you sure the new pc is using comm port 1? that would be my 1st guess... procom scripts save my dept 1000's of man hours a year..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

It's a new HP rack mounted server with just the one comm port - COM1. System thinks it's OK.

The very first time I connected it made a connection. Flushed with success I then routed the cables (Disconnect & reconnect) neatly through the wiring cabinets and "sods law" it's never worked since.

that's real crazy, that goes to the "if it's not broke rule". i've had units with a single comm end up as comm 3 or comm 2, just as auto config thing.. the mouse was comm one.. try a loopback to the comm port, test the box to see if it will see the loop.. could be a comm port..

with a null in place loop pins 2 and 3, with a paperclip, you should see text as you type...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back