Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperterminal for Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tclinch

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2002
US
I am trying to connect a laptop to my Flash. My flash has a DB25 connector. Do I need to go from DB25 to DB9 on the laptop?

Any help is appreciated.
TC

just connect the flash to the laptop using any port with hyperterminal. the rs232 or the printer port work fine with hyperterminal. just make sure the speed is 4,800.

scott
callmgtsys@aol.com

I have tried the following steps:

1. Plug cable into flash and into printer port on computer
2. Start hyperterminal and tried both com1 and com3 as the port with various baud rate
3. Go to a phone and enter F983 - 7 and print
4. Nothing appears on the terminal.

I am stumped. I see that hyperterminal says connected.

Thanks,
TC

get a db9-25 cable (I think you will need the nullmodem adaptor too. use the comm port on the pc for com1 or com2 I never tried using the printer port for a comm port so I will not suggest it here. Like noted go with 4800bps N81.

Note: if you are not sure on a laptop if you have the correct comm port type in atdt and see if you get a response, if you do you are on the modem and not on the connector in the back of the computer, change com settings in hyperterm and try again.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Hi TC,

The Flash default settings are 1200, 8N1. If you have Hyperterm or ProComm set up and connected when you power up the flash you should see the boot sequence.

Password is "SYSMGR" (uppercase)

Reports will be printed to screen. You can capture all reports to screen and save. The CCR tree is a little different. Have the printer or Hyperterm connected and log in from a set and use the CCR print prompt (softkey) to send the CCR tree to the screen for capture.

(This is from memory.) You may need multiple admin to have Hyperterm connected and log in from a set to print the CCR tree. It is a setting in the the UI and the password for multiple admin is "ADMIN" (uppercase).

My laptop is COM1 the modem is COM3.

I hope this helps and works!

Let us know,

Rob

I forgot to mention in the above post. The serial cable does not require a null modem and the terminal emulation should be set to VT-100.

Rob

Do I need to reset Flash, because in your post it mentions that you will see the boot screen. If so, do I lose everything?

Thanks for you help on this.

TC

No, you do not have to reboot the VM. Just connect your cable and hit return in the terminal screen and the password prompt will appear. If you did reboot the programming would not be lost (fingers crossed).

When you are done make sure to exit the session properly and back out to the password prompt (Follow the screen prompts, sometimes they use the ESC, spacebar or 0 to back out depending on where you are).

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back