Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperlink to Notes Database - can it be done? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nctk

Technical User
Sep 13, 2002
DE
Does anyone know if it is possible to create in a Word document a hyperlink which opens a Lotus Notes database?

Nick

Yes, you can hyperlink to any file - the file will open in its native application.

Thanks Paul.

That works fine when the Notes database is on my hard disc - but the file I need to reference is on a networked Notes server and I don't know the syntax necessary to get at it.
The server is defined in Notes like this:

CN=CONAME01/OU=Servers/OU=GMBH/O=CONAME
and the path and file in the usual way like this:
PUBLIC\DEPT\Filename.nsf

Nick

Hi Nick

If you're still looking for this information, Lotus Notes is itself a valid internet protocol, so you can build a hyperlink to any Notes document using the following syntax:

notes://server/path/databasefilename/nameofview/documentid?OpenDocument

I have an Access database which programmatically creates links to a Notes database using this syntax and it works really well.

Hope this helps

Mac

Hi Mac,

Thanks for the tip. I have not yet been able to get it to work for me but I will keep trying. For one thing it is not clear how to name the server and for another the documents I want to link to do not have IDs which I can cut and paste.

Regards
Nick

Hi Nick

Look at the properties for any document within your Notes database. Click the meta tab which has <+> as its symbol, and you should see a field called Identifier.

You can copy whatever is in that field, append "?OpenDocument" onto the end of it, and use this as the target for your hyperlink. The Identifier field contains the correct server name and UNIDs for the database, view and document, so you don't have to worry about finding out what they are.

Hope this helps.

Mac

Hi Mac,

That works perfectly.
Thanks a million.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back