Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperlink not working in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

visopenlive

Programmer
Jul 1, 2010
US
Hai all,

I developed a live report and displaying the output using webreport. One field (location) is hyperlink so that, when it is clicked it opens the document. This works when output is html. But user wants excel file to be downloaded to desktop. If I put that setting in destination of webreport, excel file is getting downloaded and it shows the field is hyperlinked. But when I click it, it says "Cannont ope file"..?!! but the same works in html. this is the line I use in web report body to make it hyperlink.

<TD><A HREF="[LL_REPTAG=DATAID LLURL:DEFAULTLINK /]">[LL_REPTAG=DATAID NODEINFO:pATH /]</A></TD>

Please let me know if any change is needed.

Thanks a lot..

When I search on the forums,I see there is a limit on length of URL when passes from wen report into Excel..?!! not sure if this is true..

Hai

I just found the problem. The link that appears in excel is absolute one and that is causing the problem. Because when the file is downloaded to our desktop path changes and its linking desktop path to document's path on server and says file not found. How to overcome this issue?

thanks a lot for your reply

Hai Griffiths or any one,

Can you help me on this please?

Thanks

Working link example:

opentxt.com/examples/reports/.........

Basically this is formed by using LL_PATH and this line of code in web report.

<A HREF="[LL_REPTAG=DATAID LLURL:DEFAULTLINK /]">[LL_REPTAG=DATAID NODEINFO:NAME /]</A>

When the web report having this line is ran, hyperlink shows up and document open when clicked. But when destination is changed to desktop or email, file comes up and saves on desktop or comes as attachment to e-mail with hyperlink in it.
But hyperlink refers to local user PC like

C:Documents and Settings/Desktop/Temporary/....

Hope this helps..thanks a lot..

Hai Grifftihs

Hyperlink works now. but on clicking the hyperlink it asks for login and then after login it displays the document that is hyperlinked. Even though user is login in one tab of the browser it still asks for login.. Is this any cookie issue?
Please help on this.

Thanks

depends on how you have authentication set up, I assume from your description that you are using Livelink rather than NTLM authentication, can you post the two URLs, one from the system and one from the Excel file, as some browsers/servers can be case sensitive.

Greg Griffiths
Livelink Certified Developer & ECM Global Star Champion 2005 & 2006

Sure..I will compare and will let you know..or I will psot two URLs here..thanks a lot for your help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back