Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperlink Issues - Some work, some don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormtrooperofdeath

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
GB
I have recently created a series of webs using Frontpage, and linked a heap of pages and other files (like word docs, excel spreadsheets and pdf files) together. I use IE 6, all service packs and updates. When I browse these pages on my PC, all the links work. So if i click a link to another page, it will open. If i click a link to a pdf file, it will prompt whether i want to open the file or save as something else.

Now for the problem. I want to burn these webs and docs onto a CD, so I can distribute the manuals and documents neatly and easily. I burn the CD using burn at once, enabling the long file names and deep paths. Now when I open the htmls from the CD and browse, most of the links work, but some dont. Of the ones that dont work, some of these dont have any spaces or wierd characters in the full path and filename. Also, when i click on some of the links to word/excel/pdf files, some give me the prompt to open or save the file, while others dont do anything! Again, of the ones that dont work, some of these dont have any spaces or wierd characters in the full path and filename.

I am confused why it all works from my local hard disk, and from a shared directory, but it doesnt all work off a CD! I have tried to register about 10 different dlls as suggested from a few different websites, but it hasnt solved the problem. I have cleaned the temp internet files... i dont know what to do!!!

Can anyone help me please????? Thanks!!!

Without seeing any of your code it would be a one-in-a-million guess as to what your problem is.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

It has to do with the way the HTML code is handled. The hard drive is used as a default, but when you move to an alternate scenario, (like a CD) you have to explicitly specify the CD or the system variable for the CD drive. I went through this a few years ago when I created manuals on a CD, but unfortunately I don't remember how I fixed it. Visit the HTML or the Java forum and I'm sure you'll find your answer over there. I'll look through some of my email and see if I saved the info and I'll post if I find it.

Thanks for the help so far. I had a look at your links bcastner but they don't seem to apply to my problem. Thanks anyway. Battmain, if you manage to find anything in your mails, I would be extremely grateful!

I found the email and they are from 2000. It's a little confusing to me at the moment since I don't do much html anymore, but it seems that the code shows something like "a ref> file c:\\ <link>" the c is replaced by the network drive designator when you use the network drive. This is because the drives are assumed by windows. On the 'CD' drive, it looks like I made it work by deleting the <a ref> and using just a "./ <link>" as the drive identifier. This forces windows to use the current drive directory. I'll see if I can dig up the actual CDs that I made and see how I did the code. Some of you java/html types help me out here. My memory is at 100% utilization, and resources are low...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back