Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperlink in an email to run a program in a network folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLewisBPM

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
GB
Recently I needed to run an audit program on each and every PC in the company. I didnt want to run around to all the PC's (35) and run the .exe file so I thought I would be clever and send an Email to all users with a simple text statement that said "audit my pc". The clever part? I hyperlinked the text to point to the .exe file on the network. (everbody has a network share of I: drive) This worked perfect. All Pc's Audited within the day.

Now I have to go around and upgrade all users Virus Software, its yet again another .exe file where all the user has to do is click on the link, click next and finally click finish job done. Problem?? An error comes up saying the user does not have the right to perform the upgrade i.e. administrative rights!!!

Does anyone know how I can get by this so the program auto runs with the Admin username and password already in place.

Win 2000 O/S Kind Regards

Kelley Lewis

batch file?

Or just change the permissions for a day or 2 untill all the workstations are updated.

Let us know what you do, because that sounds like a cool thing to know...(I have a small netwrk too). Hope I was of some help...
--OR--
Thanks for the help...
--Rich

Rich,

A batch file may work if it is hyperlinked via a network share. I tried a batch file once before where I emailed it to all users, unfortunately our version of outlook blocked the file LOL.

Due to the security issue surrounding the bugbear virus i gave up and have spent all day walking PC to PC!!!

Oh well nevermind, I'll work it out for next time.

Any help on writing batch files, where you can specify the domain, username and password before running a specific .exe file would be most helpful!!

Kind Regards

Kelley Lewis

The only way without Third Party software or SMS is to do what Cadwalader mentioned that I know of.

I have used the method of elevating privileges and it usually works. I have ran into a few programs that didn't work well after moving the user that installed the software back to the 'Users' group. Minor and if you test it you can find them and you know you have to install them user self.

-Chris

I had a friend write a C program to automate the install of ODBC drivers as an administrator. So, it is possible...if you've got a friend with C and time! Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back