Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyper-V machine's C:\ showing incorrect space used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phototechman

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2009
US
Hello Everyone,

I'm having issues where one of my virtual machines is showing more spaced used than what I'm able to see.

I'm running Server 2008 R2 Standard as my virtual PC. I set the vhd to be 210gigs in size. When I look at my computer I see C: showing 66.5gigs free of 210gigs. When I run Visdir, or Jdisk Report (or any other scanner that will try to find out where this data is being used) I can only find 28gigs of data being used.

I went though each folder on the root of C: and checked size for each folder one by one, again, only getting around 28gigs of data from this. My folder settings are showing everything, I don't hide anything from view.

I deleted my snap shots and this didn't free up any space.
I can't figure out where this 120gigs of data is being used. I know the disk is differencing, so shouldn't this data go away once deleted?

If you set the VHD to be 210GB in size and it is a "Fixed" type then the file on the disk will be 210GB. If you set the VHD to be 210GB in size but set it to "Dynamically Expanding" then it will start out very small, but grow as needed until it reaches 210GB in size. At that point it will grow no bigger. Deleting data from within a Dynamically Expanding VHD will not shrink the VHD. It isn't "Dynamically Expanding and Shrinking".

A "Differencing" disk is a completely different matter. It is in a parent-child relationship with another VHD. The parent VHD file is not modified in this case, but the differencing VHD file is where all changes are written to. It is much like a snapshot in this respect.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Can I convert a differencing disk to a fixed disk? The issue I'm having is I want to convert to a fixed disk, but this is my active directory server and I know messing with the AD vhd files can turn into a big problem very quickly. I'm still a little confused on what is the best approach to try and convert this disk to fixed.

I haven't seen any way to convert between disk types. Your best options may be:

1. Backup and restore.
2. Clone the VM.
3. P2V it (more like V2V it, though SCVMM usually is talking about a VMware to Hyper-V migraiton in those cases).

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back