Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyper Threading Technology (Intel D975XBX2) Where is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

themrspeedoist

Technical User
Aug 13, 2007
US
According to the Intel Company the "Intel D975XBX2" is well equipted to rank with the fastest and best for speed and gamers break their legs to get this board so they can keep up with the game. When I ran the Intel processor, Bios and everything else utility they reveal either changes have to be made in the scheme of things and/or somehow this is NOT a real Intel D975XBX2 or some thing. Whatever the case will be; where is it? That's cutting to the chase huh? I have added the link below to show the board in question. Plus the processor link. From my reading and I am not to clear on this. BUT I believe there is some sort of software to be installed before I can procead. I know there is somebody that know exactly what. Thanks and have a happy holiday!

Hyper Threading Technology

Is this because of the fact "Hyper Threading Technology" is not needed with the "Quad" I have in question because of the Quads faster speed? I have this in another pc I built that is shown in this link here

now it is alot faster. BUT I was sold on the idea that along with what you said "Hyper-threading is not a feature of Core 2 Duo processors". BUT not if it was a "Quad" too?
And the "Hyper Threading is alot slower then the processor I was sold, and not necessary. Strange knowing that I requested a "Gamer's Dream Machine" in the eyes of gamers.
If I have it clear now, and "Hyper Threading" is indeed a faster speed factor then I was misled in been told the Quad" was faster then a just a "Core 2"? I am getting the feeling as I write this that there is more. Because when I ran the "Intel Utility" I notice a figure of 266mhz instead of the 800mhz that is plastered all over the Intel box. Strange indeed. I believe I have it not configured to the fastest configuration. I know I could "over-clock" but it is plenty fast enough without this. PLENTY! It has alot to do with the way I put it all together.

My first post was in haste and I apologize if I have misled you in thinking hyperthreading exists in any Core 2. Hyperthreading was not designed into any current architecture of the Core 2. Intel knows why, and perhaps other readers of this forum do too, but sorry, I don't. My limited understanding of hyperthreading is that it tried to interleave threads on a single CPU, making more efficient use of it. It also presented to an OS a look of a duo-CPU. Now with the advent of actual duo-cores, why emulate them?

You also need to understand the relationship of basic clock speed, CPU clock and FSB clocking. Then throw in DDR2 speeds and the numbers can get confusing. These I indirectly addressed in your thread779-1430332

Intel Quad CPU's are actually two (2) CORE2DUO's on a wafer...
Having said that, it is evident that there can't be any HT at all...

about speeds etc. have a look at this review:

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Quad-Core Processor
Intel's new 45nm Yorkfield chips tested and tortured

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Perhaps I am confused... You ask if the Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor 5400 will work on the Intel D975XBX2 motherboard, but the article you reference is for the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 processor.

At any rate, here is Intel's list of compatible processors for this board. This list may expand with BIOS revisions, so you should keep that in mind. However, my guess is this board won't support the newer chips that have the 1333MHz FSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back