Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyper-Threading motherboard with AGP 8X ??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

knporter

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2002
US
Hello Everyone, I noticed that the new 3.06Ghz Intel chip supports Hyper-Threading. I have been in the market to build a new system and wanted to know anyone's opinion of this technology. Currently a 3.06 hyper-threading processor is $300 more than a 2.8Ghz non HT chip. Is this worth the extra cost? Also, are there any motherboards available that support both the 3.06Ghz chip and 8X AGP? The only ones I have seen support AGP 4X. This seems like it would cause quite a bottleneck but again opinions are welcome.

Thank you, "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."

--Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

What OS you gonna be running?
I know most OS does not support HT.
I would not spend money on both either or 8x, these technology are not well developed. 8x is far away from where they are suppose to getting.
So, save yourself some money.

remember those KT400 motherboards don't perform well with pc3200 rams. but you can definetely try it and write some review tell me about if i'm wrong =)
ff

I was told that XP Pro is the only consumer OS capable of using Hyper-threading.

I am more concerned with AGP 8X than Hyper-threading because I am big into gamming and my current rig (1.2Ghz AMD) is starting to struggle with some new games. I thought the new Radeon series requires 8X AGP. "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."

Hyperthreading looks cool, but I doubt it's worth the extra $300 right now. If you look at the article from Tom's Hardware posted above, you'll see that in time, there will be much to gain. But for now, you'll see little performance gain in most apps/games.

AGP 8x is coming on most newer motherboards anyway, and the price difference is minimal. So that shouldn't be an issue, regardless if there's little difference right now between 4x and 8x.

Just my $.02 ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Paparazi, The link you provided does show 4 new MB's that use the new E7205 chipset but it seems they are all still in the beta testing stage. Thanks for the info

cdogg, I would guess that you are right about getting little performance improvement in most current games. After thinking about Hyper-threading more I realized that Hyperthreading will only help while you are running multiple applications. Gamming is really the only time most advanced users only have one application running so it would not help at all. Hyper-threading seems like it would help most on servers, correct logic??
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."

Yes. For now, only servers will really benefit from Hyper-Threading. However, in time more apps/games will be written to utilize it, so servers won't be the only ones reeping the benefits. Heck, you could benefit right now if you do a lot of multi-tasking, but the average home user doesn't have to worry about that too much.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back