Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hurricun 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
I've been listening to the Governor of North Carolina talk about Hurricane Irene. She insists on calling it "hurricun." To me that grates on my nerves worse than fingers on a black board. Anybody else hear some mispronounced words that give them the "willies?"

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Just to clarify - I was not trying "correct" Santa's pronunciation. GS commented on what he seems to have assumed was a simple error - (the error being that thought rhymes with not). I chimed in saying I agreed with GS.

When Santa stood by his pronunciation, I was surprised - I had honestly never heard anybody rhyme not and thought. I was not saying it was wrong merely (in my opinion) unusual. Of course, I might have the unusual pronunciation (though the dictionary I referenced does not think so) so I asked the question to get some idea of how MAIers split on the issue.

Santa - I'm sorry if I gave the impression of being critical of your accent.

Tony

1 - No.
2 - Germany (Oxford (school) (probably long lost), Texan, Georgia and Floridian English (accents) all intermixed with a slight German accent (military))
3 - a definite NO.

examples given:

Don and Dawn - for the first word, I use a short O sound, meaning my lower jaw only slightly moves downward, whereas for Dawn, I use a longer O sound, meaning my jaw drops even lower...

this goes for all the other examples as well:

taught / tort - long O, short O sound...
sought / sort - long O, short O sound...
caught / court - long O, short O sound...
fought / fort - long O, short O sound...

etc.

but that may just be me... ;-)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

To N1ghteyes question:

1)No
2)USA(Midwwest)
3)Yes/No

To elaborate on 3 Yes my accent may be regional but the key is I enunciate the words I pronounce. I think you are going to have the sides split on this issue regardless of what the dictionary says, because people's accents and how they enunciate will sway the pronunciation.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Sorry, Tony. I didn't mean to suggest that you were correcting Dave. Misunderstandings abound.

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

I found the article. It's on CNN, Regional accents thrive in U.S. -- but is that a good thing?

1: Yes
2: This may be a too simplistic question. I was raised in Idaho (US. Yes, Idaho is part of the US) but now live in Virginia (US). Where you learned English may be as an important a factor as where you currently are.
3: No. Most people where I currently live have a "southern accent."

PBS has a quiz on US accents.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

1. No.

2. UK. Originally South Yorkshire but modified by time spent in South East (towards 'standard' or received English) and latterly Western Scotland (towards West-of-Scotland English).

3. No.

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

1. No
2. Louisiana, USA
3. No/yes. I do not have a Cajun accent, but I do have a somewhat southern accent.

I also do not pronounce Don and Dawn the same. I pronounce Don with an "ah" sound, but Dawn with an "aw" sound.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

1. No.
2. Originally from Ukraine, living in NY,USA for a while.
3. Um, not sure. What would you answer if I am trying to replicate a New York accent while having a fairly strong Russian accent?

1. Yes
2, Ohio, USA
3. No..The Midwest accent seems pretty standard to me.

Sot/sought, not/naught, don/dawn are all homophones to me.

==> What would you answer if I am trying to replicate a New York accent while having a fairly strong Russian accent?
Welcome.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

CC - is that what they call "southern hospitality"?

Tony

Straw poll - does not rhyme with naught?
Results so far:

US: Yes 3 / No 2
Other:Yes 0 / No 5

I checked with 'er indoors and she confirmed my earlier assertion, so, if we are allowed to include her in the count, the US vote is then split 3/3.

We used to have a Geordie in the office. It was impossible to hear any difference between his versions of "mortar board" and "motor boat".

Tony

as far as I am concerned (coming from England)

they should be pronounced as follows

Not as in hot
Naught as in thought

so no Not and Naught do not rhyme, although I can see how the pronunciation of naught could slip enough.

especially in a nation that cannot cope with simple words such as buoy (pronounced BOY not BOOEY )

Computers are like Air conditioners:-
Both stop working when you open Windows

It was reported on a regional news program that a drunk driver who had caused carnage had been apprehended by by a local detective. On seeing this news, a junior school teacher, who realised that the detective had been on of his pupils, was heard to proudly remark:

"It's not for naught I taught the tot who sought the sot".

Tony

1. Yes

2. American Standard (i.e., not Eastern, not Southern, not Bostonian, not Down Eastern (Maine), not Midwestern, not Utahn) -- born in Idaho (45 miles west of where 2ffat was born), spent most of my growing years on the San Francisco Peninsula. Two years in British Midlands. My accent sounds like what you would hear on most U.S. television series and movies. (I grew up watching too much television. <grin>)

3. Mostly yes, except that Utah (my current home) has natives that speak with some wierd (mis)pronunciations.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Stella,

::3. Um, not sure. What would you answer if I am trying to replicate a New York accent while having a fairly strong Russian accent?
I kess yoo aR all messt up seRe sen... ;-)

Santa,

::3. Mostly yes, except that Utah (my current home) has natives that speak with some wierd (mis)pronunciations.
examples please, and I guess it is catching, at least the (mis)spelling...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Ben said:
...wierd...I guess it is catching, at least the (mis)spelling...
Oh, so right...my indoctrination to the elementary-education "...'i' before 'e'..." rule apparently won out. Good catch.

Examples of weird native-Utahn pronunciations:[ul][li]The digraph "ai" becomes a short "e". Example: "mail" sounds like "mell", "hail" sounds like "hell", "tail" is "tell", et cetera.[/li][li]A "t" sound in the middle of a word either:[/li][ul][li]...disappears: "mountain" becomes "mou'uhn", "button" becomes "buh'uhn", "fountain" becomes "fou'uhn", et cetera, or[/li][li]...become a "d" sound: "Delta" becomes "Delda", "attitude" becomes "addatude", "what?" becomes "whuh?", "it" becomes "uh" (e.g., "I like it" becomes "I like uh."), et cetera.[/li][/ul][li]"For" becomes "Fer"[/li][/ul]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

1. No
2. East African ex-pat UK primary education, Australian secondary education, Irish/Australian heritage, with some time in Sudan, Kenya, Australia, Ireland and France.
3. No, neutral form of the Queen's English I think.

That sentence of N1GHTEYES is a good test, this is what I sound like reading it.

I'd be very interested to hear some other examples, especially those where not and naught sound the same!

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

BadBigBen,

Huh?
Nah, it's doesn't sound like this. Seriously. I think you are either mishearing or misspelling some of the mispronunciations :)-D). I gess, zeRe, zen, etc., might be closer to reality - and it really gets better after all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back