Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hurricun 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
I've been listening to the Governor of North Carolina talk about Hurricane Irene. She insists on calling it "hurricun." To me that grates on my nerves worse than fingers on a black board. Anybody else hear some mispronounced words that give them the "willies?"

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I have a coworker who is from Cedar Island on the Outer Banks. He pronounces it the same way. Must be a regional thing.

Any one from the USA complaining about pronunciation is living in a glass house & throwing stones ;-)

common examples:

Chassis, should be pronounced shasy not CHA-SIS
Shedule is not pronounced SKEDULE
Ask is not axe!

Mundus vult decipi decipiatur ergo.

It's funny how Bear Grylls (from Man vs. Wild on Discovery) says vitamins. He pronounces it with a short i sound.

Regards,
Chuck

Illinois when it is pronounced the way it is spelled. It is supposed to sound like Illinoi sans the final "s". Prolly more aggravating because I live there. Also the famous product brand Nike (pronounced Nikey as everyone in the World knows) when my grandparents pronounce it like it is spelled.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

>vitamins. He pronounces it with a short i sound

What's wrong with that?

Didn't say there is anything wrong with it. Just said it's funny... at least to me. Me being in Texas, and most of the US, I've always heard and pronounced it differently.

No disrespect, just saying. Was meant at some light-hearted discussion.

Regards,
Chuck

How about the state Missouri, which is commonly pronounced with either an E or an AH sound at the end.

OOOhhh that one bugs me too Noway, forgot about it till now...

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Here in Utah, where we have NEVER had a hurricane, we have a town in the south of the state named Hurricane, but Utahnically we pronounce it Hurkun.

Farther north from "Hurkun" is the town of "Salina", obviously named after the Spanish word, which should be "Sah-leen'-a", but Utahnically, we fracture it to "Sahl-eye'-na".

With apologies, again, to the Spanish, the town of "Buena Vista" ends up as "Byoo-na Vista" instead of the proper "Bway-na Veesta".

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Not quite the same thing as we've been saying with words like hurricane, Illinois, and Missouri, but some languages have inflections that unless you spend enough time hearing and practicing that can be very difficult to pronounce as your mouth just isn't trained for it. An example being the rolling R sound in Spanish. In school, I had a lab partner from Kuwait whose name I never could pronounce correctly (I also forget how it is spelled), but the closest I could come to saying it would be "Kay ya" There was some inflection in the middle, I just could get right.

Hi,
Both North and South Carolina have a town spelled

Beaufort

In North Carolina it is pronounced boh-f?rt

In South Carolina it is bew-f?rt

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I've always heard beau, as in boy friend, pronounced bow.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

==> I've always heard beau, as in boy friend, pronounced bow.
Is that bow as in bow and arrow, or bow as in the front of a boat?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Did you learn this in SKOOL or SHOOL?
School actually

yes I know English not very consistent with its pronunciation rules (if it even has any)

As a bastard language (adopting words & concepts from anywhere & everywhere)
pronunciation really depends on if the words origins are French (Schedule) Germanic, Latin or even Ancient Greek (school from Skhole)

words that look similar can often be pronounced completely differently.

Dont even get started on Manwaring, Marjoribanks & Wriothesley
which are names even English people can get wrong if they are not familiar with them,

IPGuru said:
English (is) not very consistent with its pronunciation rules (if it even has any)
Just consider how many pronunciations exist for the phoneme, ough:[ul][li]bough -- rhymes with cow.[/li][li]cough -- rhymes with off.[/li][li]rough -- rhymes with stuff.[/li][li]though -- rhymes with no.[/li][li]thought -- rhymes with not.[/li][li]through -- rhymes with too.[/li][/ul]Sheesh...6 different pronunciations for the same four letters.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

if you want to get really confusing
how about minute - 60 seconds and minute - really small ;-)

Is that bow as in bow and arrow, or bow as in the front of a boat?
Bow is in shotgun bow and arrow wedding.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back