Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hunting down a rogue program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechEd23

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2003
GB
Hi everyone,

Here is the situation. I have a windows 2000 server sp4 running a oracle 8.1.7.4 database. Now something seems to be scanning oracle datafiles and locking them thus corrupting them.

The only thing I can think of that would scan the files would be symantec antivirus, which I have told not to scan .DBF's

I am trying to find out which program is locking the file.

I have tried looking in Event Viewer but could find nothing there around the time of the lock. Only an event log saying the oracle database has gone down.

I oracle log file does not say what is locking the datafile.

Does anyone know where I could find a log telling me which program is locking the datafiles?

Try to use eXtended Task Monitor - find file and you will see all the programs that are holding your file and even you will be able to unlock this file.
You can download this program
for free from:

Please, notify me it is helped you

I will note that the true and valid Windows Processes are unlikely your issue.

. Do a complete test with faq608-4650
. Increase your virtual memory settings. Make sure that min and max settings are 1.5 times your physical RAM, or perhaps slightly larger in your case.
. Defrag the hard disk drives
. use a Registry cleaner, there are lots of advice about this here, or just use

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your reply's.

I have downloaded and installed eXtended Task Monitor.

I have enabled trace so should the datafile be corrupted again then I will be hopefully able to track down the service that was responcible.

I have also enabled the security so only oracle services can have access to where the datafiles are kept.

Thanks again for all your help

Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back