Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hundreds of DCOM errors daily SBS08

Status
Not open for further replies.

jer18

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2008
US
Hello!!

Our SBS2008 is generating Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM (Event ID 10009) errors daily, in the hundreds. There must be at least 30 new errors every 10 minutes. The error is for computer names that are running XP Pro. That seems to be the only pattern I noticed.

We use this SBS08 as a standard ol server. It's basically a file and print share (and DNS). I'd like to disable (not uninstall) anything SharePoint, Exchange, etc. related that doesn't need to be running. Not sure if this is relating to DCOM, or if its just a matter of XP machines on the SBS08 network and something needs to happen individually to each machine..

Thanks!

Jer18, while there are several possible solutions to this problem( it's such a common problem and seems to actually cause no underlying issues besides having your logs full, that many people just ignore the errors and use a filter on the event log to exclude them.

But if you want to resolve them, check out that link and create the firewall exception on each client or edit the group policy to add an additional firewall exception to the client policy.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Perfect thanks - yes, I'd rather resolve. I think this is also causing the server to have abnormal shutdowns..

Been working on the firewall fix, they seem to have been clearing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back