Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Huh? I can't do SQL off a Cursor created by SQL, how come?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxNovice

Programmer
Apr 10, 2008
US
Runnin another SQL off a cursor just created by an SQL is not given a second thought in DOS Foxpro.

This isn't allowed in VFP 5.0+. Why ???????

Thanks

(VFP)FoxNovice

If you are speaking of SQL Queries, I believe you can. While you might run into some problems if the original SQL SELECT isn't a true cursor, but a FILTERED set of records from a single underlying table, this can easily be 'fixed' by adding the NOFILTER clause (or a dummy constant field - depending on your version of VFP).

Can you provide a simple sample of where it doesn't work for you?

Rick

Hi Rick

I have a database with several tables in it. A DOS program i have is Creating several cursors and then pulling from each to create it's final cursor for a Report.

I did a simple SQL select against one of the tables and use "into cursor tbl2"

When I tried another SQL against "tbl2" to creat a subset of records (really just to look at) ig an error saying "tbl2" needed to be created with "into table"

Well I did that and I'm still getting the same error. clearly I'm doing something wrong

=======================================================
select * from pict ;
where between(datestamp,ctot('01/01/2002 11:59:00PM'),ctot('01/06/2002 07:00:00AM')) ;
order by datestamp ;
into cursor pict2

select * from pict2 where shift = 3

ERROR:
'pict2' must be created with "SELECT...INTO TABLE"

Thanks

FoxNovice

The problem you're running toto is that FoxPro "cheats". It sees that your SELECT statement is extremely simple, so instead of actually pulling the data and creating a cursor out of it, the table is simply opened AGAIN with a filter. Try this instead:
Code:
select * from pict ;
    where between(datestamp,;
      ctot('01/01/2002 11:59:00PM'),;
      ctot('01/06/2002 07:00:00AM')) ;
    order by datestamp ;
    into cursor pict2 NOFILTER

select * from pict2 where shift = 3
Note the NOFILTER clause in the SELECT statement.

If you're using an older version of VFP, instead of adding NOFILTER just change the first line to:
Code:
select *,.T. as dummyfield from pict

Try:
select * from pict ;
where between(datestamp, ;
order by datestamp ;
into cursor pict2 NOFILTER

OR

select *, " " as dummy from pict ;
where between(datestamp, ;
order by datestamp ;
into cursor pict2

Rick

Thanks chpicker

That seemed to do the trick, Now I'll have to spend some time going thru the book seeing if i can get a better understanding.

So I should just use the "NOFILTER" when I am creating cursors that I want to use again in another SQL....

Thanks
(VFP)FoxNovice

P.S. I am using VFP5.0 Pro

Thanks rick..

I see you went to the command window and debugged it..thanks for your time invested in my problem

(VFP)FoxNpovice

It would be a good idea. It can help to learn WHY VFP does it, but it's not necessary. Including NOFILTER doesn't cause any problems. It just ensures that you end up with a new cursor rather than a FILTERED table.

Ian

Gotcha ;o)

Thanks..

I'll beeee baaak...lol

(VFP)FoxNovice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back