Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Huge DB in micros pos 3700 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saulopez

Technical User
Dec 6, 2006
MX
Hello !

I'm trying to solve a database problem, generated in micros pos 3700. The main system RAM is 2gb, and micros.db is 2.1gb and growing. When I'm trying to enter PM-inventory counts, it doesn't work properly. I verified the status of previous periods, and from march 2006 appears the legend "needs to be closed". I executed "audit trial close", and showed that some items have negative quantities and they have to be solved in order to close that (and subsequent) period. But I just can't access the inventory counts to modify stock quantities. Everything seems to be fine entering on PM/inventory/new count/select new count...but from there nothing happens: the system just freezes, and have to use task manager to end PM.EXE .

I called micros tech support, but they want to charge more than us$500.00 ($150/hour + tax; three hours minimum)for analyzing db. The owners are just tired of paying such rates, and for the abuse on the time charged. I'm
trying to find a solution that allows me to manipulate db, closing the "pending to close" periods.

The system is installed in Mexico.

I really hope you can help me.

Thank you,

What version? Sounds like you have more than one issue. Later versions of 3.2 have a ignore and reset PM negative PM quantities....a very useful tool in this case or you will be there for days trying to fix xnegative quantities. As well i think your purge setttings might be set for too long or not working. I think we need to address these, get the database up to date, and then perform a database rebuild. My sites are very high volume using all of 3700 front and back options (maximizing the database)and the database usually hovers arournd 750,000KB and rebuilds to about 400,000. So first what version and service pack?

Just thinking about this a bit and i have seen another issue taht causes this. Do you get some sort of "PM failure error - something is not unique"? That is not the excat error but something like that (Pulling that one from deep memory) If so that solution will need a dba.....and Micros is the place for that.

The version is, alas!, 3.1.12.253 no service pack visible . These options you mention, are not available in this version.

On your second comment, you mention something about a "pm failure". That's not happening here. I'd do almost anything to avoid calling Micros.

I really appreciate your time helmping me with this.

Saul

Whats the speed and hardware of the server? How long do we have when the system is not in use? Are there any days the place is closed? Do you have access to a test computer? Original software? Is PM used or could it be reset?

Trying to remember software matches but thinking your server is running Windows NT4. Right? And this is real obvious (but not always done) but your daily and monthly PM autosequences (maintenenance) have been programmed to run.....and get called at the right times.....right?

Of course, is a licenced software. The system is always on. It's installed at in a Restaurant at a Hotel; running on a Compaq EVO server with windows 2000 pro, service pack 2, P4 2.4Ghz, 2gb ram, hdd 40gb. Micros sold us the full package: software + hardware (1 server, 1 computer, 3 eclipse terminals, 3 isn epson printers, 1 invoice printer).

As stated in the first post, from march 2006 to date, there's a status "close period pending"

Thank you in advance.

Saul

Saul,
What a meant was can we turn the database (system) off for 6, 8, 10 hours....or for a full day? A database rebuild on a database that big on an old machine will take.....my guess 4 hours minimum. If its WinPro you should be able to upgrade. I prefer to upgrade n a test machine....not the live machine, thats why i was asking the other questions.
In the Autosequence end of night can you ensure that "EO End of day" and "Update EO Inventory" are set to run?
Do you have remote access?

I guess we can stop the system for a full day, preferably on mondays. The autosequences you mention are set to "run".
The server has no access to internet =(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back