Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hub vs. Switch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

geckomd

Technical User
Feb 17, 2001
US
Hello...

What is the difference between a hub and a switch and when should one or the other be used?

Thanks,

Gecko

A hub utilizes one connection to an internet or intranet, bandwidth is shared by all computers on the hub.
If your total bandwidth is 500kbps, two computers would get 250kbps each, 4 computers, 125kbps each, etc.
A switch does the same, except each computer attached has full bandwidth and the access is "switched" between the computers attached. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

A hub is a place of convergence where data arrives from one or more directions and is forwarded out in one or more other directions. A hub usually includes a switch of some kind. (And a product that is called a "switch" could usually be considered a hub as well.) The distinction seems to be that the hub is the place where data comes together and the switch is what determines how and where data is forwarded from the place where data comes together. Regarded in its switching aspects, a hub can also include a router.

1) In describing network topologies, a hub topology consists of a backbone (main circuit) to which a number of outgoing lines can be attached ("dropped"), each providing one or more connection port for device to attach to. For Internet users not connected to a local area network, this is the general topology used by an access provider. Other common network topologies are the bus network and the ring network. (Either of these could possibly feed into a hub network, using a bridge.)

2) As a network product, a hub may include a group of modem cards for dial-in users, a gateway card for connections to a local area network (for example, an Ethernet or a token ring), and a connection to a line.

Well I hope this is useful to you!

Jay~
const_hole.gif

If its broken, just leave it and hope someone else fixs it!
~KeyTech

So let me understand.. if I have 2 or 3 computers in my home and I want them to all share the internet at the same time, I could hook the "hub" to the internet "phone" line, and each computer to the "hub" this would give each computer internet and intranet access. Correct?

Which modem, in which computer, is running the show? The one I designated as the "Host"?

Or what piece(s) of additional equiment or software is needed?

Redneck

It's not that easy if you are tryign to share a modem dialup internet access...If you have broadband like a cable modem or DSL then this could be worked out because ther eis a server computer that you would be connecting your hub to through theDSL or cable line. If you're sharing a dialup account using a modem then you have to use one of YOUR computers as the "server" between the ISPs server and your other computers. If you want to set them all up using one dialup account you would need to setup some sort of proxy software on the network to allow the 'client' computers in your network to access the net through the 'server' computer's internet connection to your ISP.

As far as hubs and switches go, the easiest way to explain the difference is that if you are using a hub and a signal is sent into that hub through one of the ports, it will be broadcast out through every single port in the hub, only the destination computer that the signal was sent for will pay any attention to this signal and all others will simply ignore it because it is not flagged to get their attention. When you send a signal into one port of a switch, it only broadcasts that signal out of it on the one single port that the destination computer is attached to. This results in less bandwidth being used, however it does make the switch slightly more expensive in most cases. If you have a small network of home computers(less than 8 or so) then a hub would do you just fine. If you're going to have a larger network, it would be advisable to get a switch, that way the network bandwidth won't be wasted on sending out the same signals to all areas for every signal sent by any networked computer.

Let me know if this is helpful, or someone correct me if I'm wrong please,
Greatwhite, HP Pavilion Phone Technician

You guys are making it difficult...

Hub: Just a dumb piece of wire in a box to connect computers with ethernet cables. Doesn't even need power really.

Switch: Slightly smarter, keeps tables base on each computers MAC address (hard coded to your ethernet card) - so that it doesn't have all computers getting all the traffic all the time.

Router: What you want, try and look-up the cable router. It has to route your single IP address from your ISP to the different IP addresses of the computers on your little home network.

To redneck:

The cheap way to connect your 3 computer at home is to use a bnc connection. all you need is 3 network card w/ bnc, bnc connector, and coaxial cable rg-58u.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back