Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hub question!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law1213

Programmer
Jan 3, 2003
GB
Hi

I currently have a network using a crossover cable between two computers, and now I have another computer and cable modem I have decided I'd like to use a hub.

If possible I would like to upgrade to a hub without digging up my crossover cable (between my two existing PCs) and rewiring a non crossover cable.

I was hoping I might be able to connect a PC to a hub using a crossover cable is this possible? I have heard this might be possible if I use the Uplink port.

Does anyone know anything about using crossover cables and hubs and whether I will need to rewire my network or not? The other PC and cable modem will be using straight trhough cat 5 cables.

Thanks

Chris

wellu will need normal cat 5 patch cables to and from the network cards now that u have three computers, should be able to use the uplink button but u will still need 2 cables

I.T Systems Support Engineer
Bsc. (Hons).

Hi,

You can get away without removing you x-over cable.

If the hub doesnt have a mdix port ( Uplink ) what you can do is....

Purchase a small x-over cable and a straight through connector. join them together making your x-over now a straight through

Hi, Dear Friends:

I am trying to find out how to communicate between two computers (win 2k and win98) through an ethernet hub.

Is it faster using a crossover category 5 cable or through the hub?

Could you please give some tips?

Thanks!

DOSXP

DOSXP, the use of a hub will not significantly speedup your connection, nor equally slow it down. However, make sure your hub is the same speed as your network cards. i.e. if you 100mb cards, make sure your hub supports 100mb.

The use of a hub would allow for adding additional machines at a later date without the need for changing any of the set up on your existing PC's.

Depending on traffic, the more equipment on the hub, the slower the network will get. Therefore, if you are planning on carrying out large amounts of high data transfer with more and more machines on the network, you may be better buying a switch rather than a hub. (In simplistic terms, a switch is a hub which knows what machine is on which port, and directs traffic for that machine to that port, rather than sending a message to all machines asking if it is the right machine. It is this action which causes a hub to be slower than a switch.)

Hope this helps, and please feel free to ask more questions. This is the way you learn.

Enjoy!

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy (Monty Python's The Life of Brian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back