Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTTP uploads are timing out on any site... Unless uploading puny file

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronvvright

Programmer
Mar 28, 2002
CA
Probably the most bizarre problem I've had to troubleshoot in a long while.

Basically it's exactly as the title says: If I try to upload a file, say an attachment on gmail or to a blog, I get a "connection reset" error. Unless, however, that file is very small. A 35kb file failed, but a 7kb jpeg made it through. Not sure exactly where the cutoff is, or if it's even a strict size that it'll start to fail at.

What would cause this? I don't think I've actually made any network-related changes, so why this would suddenly start happening is a mystery. I am on a home network through a Linksys router. I have each computer's IP hardcoded in TCP/IP settings (not "detect automatically") to avoid annoying internal IP randomization which invalidates my port forwarding table. But this is how it's been for a while, so again I don't know why this would just start up seemingly out of nowhere.

Any suggestions would be great. I'm stumped.

Thanks,
Aaron

Could it be a fragmentation problem?

Try clearing out
1)temp directory
2) temp internet directory
3) event log
4) recycle bin

defrag the disk

Have you tried a Reset on your Router? Are there any other firewalls between you and the Internet? Is it possible to test uploading bypassing the Router?

I've reset the router. Firewalls are off.

I've fixed a slight error in my hardcoded TCP/IP settings (DNS server was pointing to the same one the router was; now it's pointing to the router). However, I'm not sure if that was it, but something fixed it on my computer. I did the same on my brother's PC and it's working too. Again, it was working just fine before with the settings as they were until something happened that I can't figure out.

His laptop's another case. It's on wireless. I hardcoded his IP just like the two PCs (mine and his) and no luck. I told it to detect automatically. No luck. His Windows Firewall was still on, so I turned it off. No luck. It just won't work. He uploaded and e-mailed an MP3 to me just a few hours ago... Before I fixed these two PCs.

This is some crazy weirdness...

Double check your MTU Size, I have had new Linksys G routers that had trouble going to some sites and getting Email useing outlook. I had to set the MTU Size manually to 1492 for PPPoE, the Default setting was not working.

Didn't fix it. I've got it on "Automatic Configuration - DHCP". Right now, I can upload a 25kb .doc file but not a 26kb file of the same type, in the same directory. So 25kb appears to be the cutoff. At least, right now anyway.

I'm pretty close to calling my ISP on this one. Nothing has changed here, and I've completely reset my router and reconfigured the wireless and so on. Still having the problem. I can't pinpoint it, and since it comes and goes, it just makes me think the ISP is doing some kind of voodoo.

None of this is really my area of expertise, so please excuse the simplicity. I had to uninstall the antivirus
on my Dell laptop, install the wireless (home router), then reinstall antivrus to get around this. Just a thought...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

I don't have any anti-virus on any of the machines on the network. Firewalls are all off. I bypassed the router and it's still doing it.

Now get this: Right now, near as I can figure, I can't upload .doc files greater than 25kb in size. Everything else seems to be working right now. In Internet Explorer, I can upload anything. Even larger .doc files.

On my brother's computer (right now, anyway) I can upload anything in EITHER Firefox or Internet Explorer.

This is like... Professionally messed up. I'm lost. Calling my ISP tomorrow if nobody has any other ideas.

You could try the Netsh command as per this FAQ.

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

That didn't do it either, I'm afraid.

I've noticed that if I disconnect my connection and reconnect, then try to visit, say, "google.com" in Firefox before the connection is fully up, I'll get a 404 from then until I restart I browser. That is, even after the connection has come up, Firefox (or IE, if that's what I used first) will "remember" that "google.com" doesn't exist (or so it thinks) and won't even bother trying again. Something gets cached. If I open IE (or Firefox, if it's IE I used first) once the connection is back and visit "google.com", it'll load Google as expected. Reloading the other browser still yields a 404.

If I can upload these files in one browser and not the other (which is sometimes the case) then I'd suspect the problem lies somewhere in that caching mechanism. I'll try clearing the caches of both browsers and seeing what happens. Then I'll reinstall Firefox from scratch and see what happens. One of those should do something. Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back