Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

http session 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wekoweko

Programmer
Feb 1, 2004
PH
hi there, just wanted to know if any of you out there know of any way to make sure no multiple and simultaneous logons for a single user to a site using only session, i know this can be done via a back-end table but would like to implement the functionality using session objects only, thanks

A HttpSession object is assigned to a browser-IP config - so when they hit your site, an HttpSession object is assigned before login. Logging-in is thus very different to having a session, and there is no in-built mechanism to support this in the HttpSession object iteself.

That being said, one simple hack would be :

once they log in, assign a variable to the HttpSession such as this :
Code:
HttpSession session = request.getSession();
session.setAttribute("login", "yes");
So if you want to know if they are logged in, all you do is
Code:
Object loggedIn = session.getAttribute("login");
if (loggedIn != null) {
  // Yep, they are logged in
} else {
   // No, they are not logged in (or the attribute has been lost by the session object!)
}

I think backend validation is probably safer, but this will work.

thanks dude, well actually that will just allow me to see if the current users login session is still valid, what i actually want to see is if the user is already logged on somewhere else and wants to create another login session, anyway i think you are right, backend validation is probably the best answer, thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back