Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTTP POST Xml string

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navitas

Programmer
Jul 20, 2004
GB
Help!

I need to post an xml string to a server. I've almost got it working but a couple of things are proving difficult. Here is the code (where 'output' is a string of xml):
Code:
Dim Gateways(1) As String
            Gateways(0) = "[URL unfurl="true"]http://xml3.mblox.com:8180/send"[/URL]
            Gateways(1) = "[URL unfurl="true"]http://xml4.mblox.com:8180/send"[/URL]
            'output = HttpUtility.UrlEncode(output)
            Dim web As New WebClient
            web.Headers.Add("Content-Type", "application/x-[URL unfurl="true"]www-form-urlencoded")[/URL]
            Dim postData As Byte() = System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes(output)
            For Each gWay As String In Gateways
                Dim response As Byte() = web.UploadData(gWay, postData)
                Console.Write(System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetString(response))
                Dim respXml As New XmlDocument
                respXml.LoadXml(System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetString(response))
                If respXml.SelectSingleNode("//RequestResultCode").InnerText = "0" Then ' success, exit loop
                    MessageBox.Show("Message sent successfully", "pnrSMS Send Results", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)
                    web.Dispose()
                    Exit For
                End If
            Next

The requirements for the post are that the data must be sent in a POST parameter called "XMLDATA=" the xmldata must be URL encoded, but the XMLDATA= part must not.

Currently I have commented out the code that I thought would URL encode the string of XML - But if I use that line the web server returns an error stating : <RequestResultText>XML-error Stopping after fatal error: The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.</RequestResultText>

Basically the above code does work except even though there is no XMLDATA= parameter (god knows how!). However the formatting is wrong as the carriage returns are not displayed.

How do I add the POST Parameter and also url Encode the output/XML string ?

Hope this made sense!

Cheers
Darren

Try changing your content type to "text/xml" or "text/xml; utf-8"

ToddWW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back