Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTTP 404 - File not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

newlearner2005

Programmer
May 9, 2005
US
Hello everybody,

I got a problem when i clicked on the link to "open" or "save" the file. The error message as "The page cannot be found" The error type: HTTP 404-File not found.

Actually I have two sepatreate PHP programs. "upload.php" and "download.php". Both programs worked very well before. I mean I could upload file sucessfully and then download file by clicking the link to "open" or "save". But the problem just happened last week. Now I just upload file only, but I cannot download file anymore. When I clicked on the link ( the name of the file i wrote in "download.php") The error message like "The page cannot be found" The error type: "HTTP 404- File not found"
I really did not understand why ???
Could anybody help me to figure it out? I really appreciate.
Thank you very much.
new learner 2005

it's hard to say for sure without more information.

The error you are getting means the server cannot locate the file you have asked for when you click on the link (if the link is to your script 'download.php' then it means the server cannot find this). Double check the url in your link and also check the file(s) are where they should be, are names correctly (no typo's etc) and have the correct permissions (e.g. they are readable).

Thank you very much, mes123

I still do not understand why it works in another computer for the smae PHP programs !!!
After uploading sucessfully, then downloading, I saw the file appeared on the webpage as i expected. ( because I wrote it that way)Example: the link named "test1.txt". But when I clicked on the that file, the error message appeared as I mentioned before.
As I said, the problem just happened last Friday. It worked very well before that day. I do not understand why???
But it works in another computer for the same programs!!!
That is more info I can give you?
Thank you very much for your help.
new learner 2005

newlearner2005:
newlearner2005 said:
I still do not understand why it works in another computer for the smae PHP programs !!!
Do you mean:[ul][li]that these scripts worked on another computer at an earlier time and now do not work on a new computer, or[/li][li]that these scripts worked on a computer at an earlier time and now do not work on the same computers?[/li][/ul]
If it's the latter, the reason is that the two computers are configured differently. Have you verified (not assumed) that the two computers are configured identically?

If it's the former, the reason is that someone changed something.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Thank you very much for your help, sleipnir214.
I am sorry for typing wrong. The quote was:
" I still do not understand why it works on another computer for the same PHP programs!!!"
Now answer to your questions:
These scripts worked on a computer at an earlier time and now do not work on the same computer.
Yes, two computers are configured differently, but why these scripts work on both for a long time ( 2 months and no problem!)
Thank you very much.
new learner 2005

It is my experience that, barring hardware failures, when the behavior of a computer changes, it is because somebody changed something.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Thank you very much for your quick help, sleipnir214.
If you said so, it is very hard for me to fix it.
I do not think people can touch my computer. But recently I have just downloaded a new software ( nothing relates to apache, PHP or mySQL )I am wondering it could be a problem?
I am not sure. I will try.
Thank you very much anyway. You are great !
new learner 2005

Have you checked permissions???

Does the internet user have access to the download.php???

MoMoZoNe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back