Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTTP-400 can't find default web document

Status
Not open for further replies.

GERPAT

Programmer
Aug 15, 2002
IE
I've set up a site and set the default document to index.htm. When I type in the url minus index.htm I get a HTTP - 404 error. In order to see the site I need to add index.htm i.e. I've enabled the default document and cleared IIS's cache but it still won't work. Any ideas?

configure IIS to look for index.htm as its default document. The defaults on install are default.asp or default.htm.

RC on the site, pick Properties then the documents tab, add index.htm and move it to the top of the list.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Thanks for replying to my query. I've already done this, the problem is the default document still isn't being picked up. I've checked that the web user has rights to the file and made sure the file isn't set as hidden but still no joy.

Yes I see that now I've read your post properly. [morning]

It seems like the site is not loading up the default doc correctly because if the default doc is not in the root folder you would get a 403 error not a 404 or 400. So the only thing I can suggest is to recreate the site in IIS

Another thought is that you have file higher in the default list with a redirect to a missing file.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Another possibility is, the IUSER_server name account needs to be able to read the file. If you've played with file permissions, this could be the problem.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back